Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat - Electrical Issue

1984 Brat was running for the past few days and went to start it this morning and nothing...

• Measured 12.2v on battery with multimeter.
  • When turning the ignition key, I get nothing... no beeping or anything.
  • I did check a couple of fuses in the cabin but need to check more.

The ignition key switch has been acting odd since I got her a few days ago; thinking a wire there broke possibly and will be checking that tonight too.

Any other ideas? Couldn't be the starter or the ignition coil since those do not provide the cabin with electricity, right?

Just looking for ideas so when I get home tonight I have some direction on what to do.

Thanks,

Jacob

Next question; any place I can get the box and the wire fuses in it? New?

You don't need a new box.  I am not aware of anyplace to get a new one anyhow....

Just clean the connection.

Same with the links.....I've never seen "new" pre-made fusible link like that.  Fusible link wire can be purchased from autoparts or electrical store........crimp some new spades onto a length of appropriate gauge.....done.

And thank you - this is pointing me in a good direction I think. The fusible link will effect cabin lights and dash not working too?

Fusible link box suppies EVERYTHING with power.  (except main starter lead).

Everything in the car runs first thought the Fusible link box, and then into the cabin to the low amp Fuse box.

I was able to find these locally...

• .5mm fuse link wire - 20 gauge.
  • .8mm fuse link wire - 18 gauge.
  • 3/8" Spades.

I made new fuse links, 1x from the 20g to replace the green and 2x from the 18g to replace the reds. Car starts and the only worry I have is that the notes on this message board says the red calls for .85mm for the reds... but I can't find that gauge of fuse link wire. The spades are slightly larger than stock, but they fit over the male ends in the fuse link box and are tight enough that I have to pry on them a bit to get them back off.

Think I will be ok?

Did it fix your problem ?

U can substitute these old style with new style plastic box like FLs, known as FFL Female Fusible Links and believe it or not, never give trouble.

BIG but is not being swapped for like colour, more , started with OK say black original - look at black plastic FFL and it is 80A - halve 80 and fit a 40 in the place of the fabric covered black one. Keep following the colour swap to FFL rating, halve the number, choose the FFL in plastic of the half value.

Some light reading here

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18205&highlight=style+fusible+links

Edited by jono

• 4 weeks later...