Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have seen a few engines for sale for a 97 impreza...some of them have this thing about the VIN number and that jazz is this true??

"AUCTION IS FOR A 1998 SUBURU IMPREZA 2.2 ENGINE WITH 60,000 MILES AND COMES WITH A ONE YEAR PARTS WARRANTY. ENGINE RAN GREAT. FITS 1997-1998 SUBURU IMPREZA'S WITH A 2.2 ENGINE AND A MANUAL TRANSMISSION ONLY. THE 8TH DIGIT OF YOUR VEICLES VIN CODE MUST BE A "4" FOR THIS ENGINE TO WORK IN YOUR VEHICLE. FREE SHIPPING. NO RESERVE. STOCK#26175 IC#91522A TAG#66677"

Let me know

Thanks

Cory

Any EJ will fit. There are issues that come into play though. Like OBD I & II changing.

Without reasearching, my best answer for matching that part of the vin means that there will be little or no modification. Just changing gaskets, seals, or anything, like the water pump, that would be a good time for you to do that. If you have another number in that part of the vin it WILL work but there is usually a lot of wiring you may have to change around. Off the top of my head, some ej22's have dual port exhaust, and some have single port, if that was an issue then you will need to buy the right header.

I've done a 1993 EJ18 to a 1995 EJ18 with no mods or wiring problems. You should look around for people doing swaps on these boards. Many people have done a lot of swaps, and can be done in your backyard. Mine took 1 day, mine was easy though.

I hope this helps you.

Max