Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This post is more for information than anything else.  I'll add it to my "Erratic Issues" post (Erratic issues) of some time ago, which is gaining a lot of text as time goes along - still a great car and love it.

I was having a sound from under the car that sounded very much like a gear slap.  I thought it must be coming from something in the torque convertor/tranny area and would watch it.  The last couple of days it got progressively louder, so I got out my DIY stethescope  to get it pinned down.

I traced it to the front of the engine, which not only surprised me, but got me a little concerned about engine problems that I really didn't need.

What had happened was my relatively new Gates water pump with about 25K on it was on the way out and the timing belt was tracking off center, striking the front cover.  I guess I'm spoiled with 200K water pump change intervals, but the pump that was replaced with the timing belt was done.

Edited by farmer

IF it was just the water pump and watch the temp gauge, I wouldn't get too excited, but with the interference engines it makes me nervous.  I did put a Direct Imports water pump back in it.  About half again as much, but It was the only alternative at four local parts stores.

When I saw the belt sitting cocked on roller, I knew I got lucky this time.

Edited by farmer