Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy auto trans swap for a 5 speed

Just wondering if any1 has done this? I have basically a 95 subaru legacy wagon L, ej22, with auto trans and wanting to replace with a 5 speed. I hoping to wire in the 3 plugs from 5 speed and not have to do anything with auto trans wiring harness. Need to know where to wire in the 3 plugs from the 5 speed into my harness. I'm sure 1 is neutral switch and 1 reverse lights but not sure which 1. I'm not finding a lot when it comes to wiring diagrams for subarus (that are actuate). There are 3 plugs, 1 (3 wire plug) towards the front of trans on the top left if you are looking at from front of car, and 2 (2 wire) plugs on the right side of trans that r few inches apart. If there is anything else I may need to know please help me out, (all the gearing is the same, from trans and rear end everything came from same car, so no worries there) wiring is my problem.

You'll want to check that the final drive ratio is a match between the new trans and your rear differential. Gotta be a match. You'll also need-

clutch components

flywheel
pedal assembly

You will want to double check because you may need to swap in a TCU from a manual car. Ditto to trans crossmember and driveshaft. They may be different between the two. 

I can't speak to the wiring. Not sure how far back you'd have to go to swap it over.

It's a rather involved job that will cost a good bit of $$$ in parts and plenty of wrenching time. Hasn't stopped many from doing it though. The easy and more common suggestion is to get a different car with the trans that you want. But if you're dedicated to your car and not afraid of a lot of wrench time, you've got a good resource here that can help you through the swap.

Is your automatic trans dying? Or whats making you want to swap in a 5 speed?

if you are committed to this swap,

find an buy a wrecked manual trans car.

that way you are guaranteed to have ALL the parts you need,

and probably pay less for them.

then scrap everything you don't use.

the 95 auto trans final drive ratio is 4.11.

you need a manual trans from a 96 - 98 outback or GT,

the ratios will match.

but your speedo will be off.

or buy and matching rear diff with the manual trans and swap them both.

one more thing, the starters are different,

don't forget the starter.

Edited by johnceggleston