Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC Compressor Replacement 81 Wagon

Has anyone done this replacement before?

My AC compressor was having issues on my 81 wagon, and I forked out money for a new one, not a remanufactured. I have heard that most compressors are shipped dry, so they require oil - Which isn't a big deal, I just need some general info on doing a proper install so I don't destroy the system.

I also bought a new Receiver Drier / Accumulator and expansion valve, as it's recommended when you replace the compressor. (Warranty also requires it.)

So anyone with some helpful tips on this, I'd appreciate it before I get stuff torn apart.

Thanks

You're going to need someone to gas it up after you've installed it all, so get friendly with your local AC guy. I've bought seals, receiver/dryers all separately before. They'll prob sell you that stuff no worries, and also give advice. If they just want to do the job only, then find someone else ;)

If you've got the system degassed, it's probably a good idea to replace the seals in the lines. Total cost is about $5 if you can do it all yourself and worth it if you've just shelled out for gas & the system doesn't seal.

Can be labour intensive cos the joins are often difficult to get access to though.

The Loyale has 2 joins inside the condenser box behind the dash, which 99% of the time don't get replaced. Not sure if the earlier models have this same design flaw... Definietely worth the effort to do these also, just a PITA :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...