Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

03 WRX 3rd and 4th gear transmission sliders *edit*

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WRX Love

WRX Love

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

I had to take my WRX in to the shop with only 7300 miles on it to have these syncros replaced. This somewhat scared me a little. This is the only trouble I have had by the way. Fourth gear grinds were pretty nasty. Anyhow my Service Advisor at the dealership told me this is fairly common. He also mentioned when downshifting to keep the RPMs up for a smoother shift.

The car had 600 or so miles on it when I took ownership. The car came from another dealership and was supposedly driven here because it is yellow and would not sell.

What I am looking for I suppose is what can I do to prevent causing something like this from occurring? I don't power shift or even shift hard for that matter. Generally it is brisk swift motion into gear and go.

#2 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:10 PM

It really sounds like the syncros were either bad, or were not installed right. I know this is a common problem for the WRX, but thats usally becasue of people abusing it. If you dont abuse the trannie then i wouldent worry about it.

#3 WRX Love

WRX Love

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

#4 WRX Love

WRX Love

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

I picked up my car up from the dealer today. They did an excellent job diagnosing the issue (initial test drive) and they did an excellent job fixing the issue.

For the first time ever it shifts very smoothly into 3rd and 4th gear. According to the master tech they sliders for both 3rd and 4th gear had to be replaced. He did mention it looked as if they were not installed properly. Ouch?

Thanks for the response wrxsubaru!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users