Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone gave me a 2003 forester x with a great body but the engine knocks and needs a HG. I have a 92 2.2 with only 90k on it sitting in my shed that came out of a wrecked legacy. Is it possible to put the 92 2.2 into the 2003 forester?

I know it would be a lot less power but then at least I would have a good running car if it is possible to do the swap.   

That version of the 2.2 is not compatible as a whole motor. The short block is. You could take the heads off the forester motor and with fresh head gaskets, bolt them to the 2.2 short block for a "frankenmotor" do a search with that keyword and you'll get plenty of info for all the ins and outs of it.

Otherwise you are looking for any late 99 single ovehead cam EJ25s and any ej25 or Ej22 from the years 2000-2003 (And probably 04 as well) Legacy, Impreza, forester and outback - all the same motor and compatible with yours. Keep the crank and drivers side cam sprockets from the old motor as these may need to be swapped onto the new one to match the engine computer and run.

I think all 2.2s are single port after 96. Y-pipes usually swap pretty easy though. I guess that depends on where the first cat is on your 03. If it's back by the trans you can swap y-pipes. If the cat is up front with the wraparound thing by the oil filter (the dragons den), then you can still do it but you'll need to swap the whole cat pipe section all the way back to the spring-bolt joint.

All 1999-2001 EJ22's are interchangeable Phase II.

They all have single port exhaust.

You can also swap the 03 forester heads onto the 99 EJ22 block then you'll have double port exhaust and can just use that exhaust and intake manifold in the forester.  so you're just swapping the short block.

Phase II EJ22 and EJ25 99-04 heads are essentially identical minus the exhaust ports - the valve part numbers on Ej25 and EJ22 Phase II's are even the same.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks everyone :D. Just looked at the Imp at the JY. Started right up and drove it around the yard hard to make sure of no overheating and such. Car was hit in the rear so that's always a plus. Exhaust from y pipe back is the same as the Forester.  Made a good deal with the owner for engine and y pipe for $400 plus my old engine from the forester.  Going to pick it up next week.

One more question, Do I have to change intakes or is it plug and play? 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 2.2 today and have a question. The 2.2 has two long studs on the bottom of the bell housing that go in to the trans but the forester had all bolts no studs. Should I take the studs out of the 2.2 and just use the bolts from the forester 2.5 or can I just leave the studs in the 2.2 to mount it to the trans?

Leave the studs. It's supposed to have those anyway. Probably someone removed them and lost them on the forester engine.

Just gotta find some nuts and washers for them.

The trans was replaced recently but the bolts in the bottom lock stock.

Any idea what the threads on the studs are?

Edited by desertsubaru