Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 outback (60,000) and I just started having a problem with the clutch sticking half up from the floor after clutching and shifting gears.

Can you tell me:

I read in a previous thread that this is a know problem.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, can you tell me:

what is the problem?

how long from the time you noticed it to the time you you couldn't drive the car anymore?

was it covered by your warranty/extended warranty?

if not, how much did it cost?

thanks.

I recently had the same problem with my clutch pedal. There is a TSB out on the problem, which describes the fix as replacing he slave cylinder. i had mine done under warranty, only because there was less than 36K on my car when it happened. The odd thing was, it started happening right after I had the clutch replaced due to the shudder problem. The clutch pedal would stick down only after driving in stop and go traffic for 30+ minutes. The clutch feels more normal now, with not so much travel in the pedal. The job should cost somewhere around $100 if you have to pay for it.

here's the article from endwrench that describes the problem and fix (it's the same text as the TSB)