Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any recommends of rockauto brake pads D291

just wondering if it is worth buying any of the front disc brake pads on Rockautos stock at the moment ?

D291 is same as our DB426 to suit the venbted EA81 rotors

Postage out to Oz is now a killer - turns two sets of sub US$8 to A$82 landed !

A$42 postage for one set, about another $28 for second set added to the buy

Can get ordinary pads here for A$35 to good names about the A$80

The price of rotors on ebay here are cheaper than 'trade' discount prices from trade suppliers !

I priced A$13 ea disc rotor , pair from Rock to Oz - add A$140 postage :cringe:

I wish Rock would us the USPS flat rate boxes :( they were a better deal in  the past

Seen another set on ebay I would not mind US$50 posted, our dollar is worth 74 pennies, farcry from few years ago when it maxxed out, we got 110 pennies worth for a dollar !

Any brand recommendations for a good bitey pad ?

Edited by jono

I buy alot of parts from Rock auto for all types of vehicles. As for break pads the only negative I could say is probably stay awy from the centec brand. Ive never had any come apart but have had many where the mounting shim that goes on the back of the pad will not grab the pad itself. looks like poor quality foundry work on the metal housing and not enough material there to grab to. Bendix, Raybestos Acdelco usually all top quality.

ah, thanks guys. Not want to sound like a financial meanie in this exercise either. I had a great contact that would forward stuff from US sources and I got some Bendix pads that were the best, so was hoping for same. The boxes were blue and green and wondering if I got same box, would I get same quality pads - or if that is just typical of the US Bendix arm and all grades of pad come in same packaging ?

Here is a sample of typical Australian Bendix packaging - mind you, this set of pads contains 45% white asbestos and not to be sold  (at least at retail level, not sure privately ?)

DSC07011_zpsuwllyx0a.jpg and the 2003 catalogue that gives us US style numbers to refer to :)

I know, if I get one last set, that will be the last....

Brake pads are like tyres when talking to anyone that sells them. Sales staff either use them, be tyres or pads, in their own cars, good in the wet (tyres) last well, wear well, grip and bite - until I buy them to find no different to the last different brand, type product I tried. All that changed when started buying quality stuff from the US - except the accelerator cable from Rock - ferrule too big for the 12mm square hole in firewall, and still reducing diameter of the pedal end :(

Think I also priced postage from Rock to the west coast in US - $23 for a box of pads ?!

Buy quality, hang the cos, but if sent same crap I can buy locally for same all up cost from afar - really cant return product either way :)

Edited by jono

Some times Yes, Rockauto's database is inaccurate. But if you will take the time to compare their part numbers to others sources, and make sure you order the right number for your application you can usually avoid improper stuff coming, but it does take effort. To me, many times the price you save by using them is worth the effort. Unfortunately for you and where you live I cant tell you how to handle your situation.

However, I have yet to have them even once tell me to send something back, even a fairly high $ items.  In fact they ALWAYS, when shipped the wrong item tell me to keep it. I probably buy several hundreds $ a month from them in my shop. I have probably no less than 100+ items from them in the past few years that occupy a shelf in my shop, all items that were sent incorrectly. (a complete set of 4 rotors for supposedly a Toyota camry) that heavy and pricey. Told to keep and they resent the proper item no charge to me. And usually 2nd day air. Ive actually called their customer service about the issue to say, surely you folks are loosing money by doing this, but they dont seem to care.

then there is this ebay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-89-Subaru-Brat-DL-GL-GL10-RX-Standard-XT-Semi-Metallic-Pads-Bendix-D291-New-/291410025847?hash=item43d9641d77&vxp=mtr

raises a few eyebrows - D291 fit BRATS , later EA81 and XT and RX surely listing applications are not correct ? The D291 is typical of EA81 front pads but anything with EA82, pads are about an inch longer - and they won't be responsible if pads don't fit - check the app charts !!