Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Forester headlight wiring colors

My wires must have melted somewhere, its blowing a fuse every time I put it in. So my plan is to bypass the stock wiring and run wires from the headlight to the relay box. Which I did, but the headlights don't light. I have what I think is a FSM (bought it off ebay, its a pdf) but it doesn't have the wiring diagrams. I've tried searching google images, seems the colors differ by era. Also someone replaced the connectors going into the headlights with a different year and the colors don't match (they're soldered in). Does anyone know what post does what on the headlight connector?

Also, is there one positive and the high and low are negative, or is it the other way around?

Edited by destey

Yes. Positive is common and the ground side is switched by the hi-lo dimmer switch.

Do you have a multimeter? Check the three wires at the headlight plug for continuity to each other. Then check each for continuity to ground.

The grounds will be the same color on both left and right sides.

One of them will show continuity to ground when the dimmer isninntheblow beam position. One other will show continuity to ground when in the hi beam position.

The power supply wire will be a different color on each side.

As far as which wire goes where on the bulb, Search the bulb number online and see if you can find a diagram showing which pin on the bulb is common. 12v goes to the common pin.