Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in spark plug wells (1999 / 2.2) <---cause ??

I have a 1999 Legacy L sedan with 2.2 engine. I just changed the spark plugs at 80,000 miles and find oil in the spark plug wells when I pull out the spark plug boot. The problem is worse on the passenger (right) side of the engine where the oil was almost 1 inch deep around the spark plug (starting at the spark plug gasket). There must be a gasket or seal of some kind which is defective.

Anyone know the cause of this, and what can be done to stop this oil leak ??

This problem was not evident when I changed the spark plugs for the first time at about 40,000 miles. I have an extended warranty plan which will pay for the repair if I can isolate the cause & the dealership will back me up on this as being a serious problem which can only get worse.

There is a separate seal that goes around the 2 spark plug holes on each valve cover. Yours have obviously aged and are leaking. I had a similar problem with one plug on my 97 OBW a few years back, but not to the same extent that yours is. I chose not to do anything about mine, since I was 9 months away from replacing the car. In your case you may want to have them replace the seals. It won't cause any real problems other than make a slight mess, or gather sand and dirt in the spark plug hole that could work its way into the clyinder when you change spark plugs next. Would I make the dealer change it now? Probably not, but I would make him aware of the problem, and get it in writing that they will replace the seals when my next major service (timing belt replacement, for instance) arrives. Its your call. Good luck!

On the 2.2 the plugs don't go through the valve cover, so the leak is probably your valve cover gasket.
Did I mention that the spark plug holes go through the valve covers. I looked in my Subaru factory supplement manual, and Subaru calls this defective part the "spark plug pipe gasket" The local Subaru stealership wants $195. to do both sides.

• 4 months later...