Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Outback Specs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:06 PM

http://www.cars101.c...tml#mechanicals

Found this neat little page on the new Subaru Outback specs. I have a question concerning the 2.5 XT (turbo) - Subaru recommends 91 Octane for the turbo model, but can you run 87 Octane on turbo without severely affecting it's performance?
Just considering the economics with the cost of gasoline these days....

#2 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

No, dont run anything less than 91. You can, but it will probably cause engine knock which will ultimatly lead to piston damage and probably engine failure.

And with the extra $.20 a gallon, it isnt that much more per year if you do the math, it is only about $125 more every 15,000 miles to run 91 instead of 87.

#3 Guest_lothar34_*

Guest_lothar34_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

Most modern ECUs can detect knock and adjust the spark timing to accomodate it. You'll lose some performance, and you should avoid it as much as possible. If you have to use 89 or 87 every once in a while, it'll be OK.

#4 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for replies. Not ever having owned a turbo anything, is there any other considerations in costs/maintenance above and beyond the normal routine stuff? Since the 3.0R H6 OB are a little higher than I want to spend (plus I'm not a fan of leather interiors which is all they offer), I'm seriously considering the 2.5 XT.

Opinions? Anyone get to drive a 2005 2.5 XT OB yet?

#5 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:15 AM

I know the ECU can try to stop detonation but it can only do it to a point, i really dont think it would run well at all on 87 octane. There was a STI owner that put in 89 octane on accident and saidhe had horible detonation with any boost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users