Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced TPS Sensor and AT Oil Temp Flashes at Startup Now

Good evening,

I recently replaced a TPS Sensor in my 96 2.2L Legacy Automatic (got an OEM Hitachi one, new, from RockAuto) and after I did the procedure, the AT Oil Temp light immediately began flashing in my car the second I started it up. It flashes 16 times, which I've been reading is an electrical circuitry problem with the tranny. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

Edited by Doobaru

AT temp light flashing means there is a fault code stored in the TCU.

Did you unplug anything else besides the TPS?

Possible the TPS is misadjusted. The ECU needs to get the correct voltage from the TPS with the throttle closed because that's how it knows when the throttle plate is closed.

What procedure did you follow for setting the TPS?

My screws were seized/rounded off on the old TPS, so my guess is the people that had the car before me attempted to change it and failed. I managed to get the top screw off with vice grips, but I had to take a chisel to the sensor and spin it with the screw to get it unsiezed, which ended up cracking the old sensor. Not the way I wanted to do it, but it worked.

I did take off one other sensor to get some leverage on the screws, it was the one that is on top of the intake manifold, and has a magnetic attachment, with similar connectors as the TPS. I was able to etch in excact lines on the manifold to make sure that one was rotated on percicely where it was when I took it off. The gunk silohetted around the sensor also helped.

The TPS wasn't as easy though. It appeared to have been set back all the way (if you were to look at the TPS sensor from the side, and looked at where the top screw was mounted, it looked like the screw was as far left as it could be). I decided to not set it ALL the way back, but just some degrees ahead, just on pure guessing. It started up to about 3,000 rpm, so I immediately shut it off, thinking it was obviously far ahead, that's when the CEL and AT Oil Temp light began flashing.  I put it all the way back counter clockwise, and it starts up at 2,20ish RPMS.

So I am sure the car is still flashing from the intial advanced TPS setting I did intially, and not the one I readjusted to.

Edited by Doobaru