Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5, with 2.2 Heads, need to find a timing set...

So my Friend about 2 years ago had his car taken apart, and had an engine put in, It was a 2.5L block, with 2.2L heads, so it had a slight horse power increase due to more compression. Now We're re sealing the engine because it leaks a bit, and we also figure we might a well do the timing belt, but the problem is that we have no idea how to tell which one to get, I am assuming it is a 2.5L kit. Just to say it we are unsure on the belt condition, and whether or not it was done, or if the heads where put on and the old belt was re used. So how can I tell if this is an interference engine or not? I cant really find any engine markings that make it obvious, only thing I have for now is a picture of the timing set as it sits now.

So what kit should I get (Brand, and engine size), and what sort of engine do we have? because according to RockAuto the interference, and non interference engines are different.

Picture of the Engine now.

m98v88.jpg

Thanks for any input guys, Harold

You have the old style tensioner, so you'd need parts for a 90-95 ej22.

You want to match your timing kit to the HEADS, not the block. All the EJ blocks are more or less the same, everything just bolts on to them. The heads are different, so you always wanna match the timing stuff to the heads.

On being interference, that depends on the pistons, not the heads. In 97 the pistons changed causing an interference design. Unless it's a 96 ej25 block, your engine is interference *. This is irrelevant, rockauto doesn't "know" you have swapped things around. For all intensive purposes, it has an old style tensioner so it's going to be a non-interference era timing kit.

I like the gates timing kit, you can get them online with all the idlers and stuff in the $150 to $200 range.

* before someone jumps down my throat, the 96 ej25 with dual cam heads has valve to valve, not valve to piston interference

Edited by 987687

You have the old style tensioner, so you'd need parts for a 90-95 ej22.

You want to match your timing kit to the HEADS, not the block. All the EJ blocks are more or less the same, everything just bolts on to them. The heads are different, so you always wanna match the timing stuff to the heads.

On being interference, that depends on the pistons, not the heads. In 97 the pistons changed causing an interference design. Unless it's a 96 ej25 block, your engine is interference *. This is irrelevant, rockauto doesn't "know" you have swapped things around. For all intensive purposes, it has an old style tensioner so it's going to be a non-interference era timing kit.

I like the gates timing kit, you can get them online with all the idlers and stuff in the $150 to $200 range.

* before someone jumps down my throat, the 96 ej25 with dual cam heads has valve to valve, not valve to piston interference

Ok, thanks for the input. So basically look for an Early EJ22 timing set then. What is the difference in the timing kit then, basically why do they list two separate kits for interference , and non interference. sort of weird. I don't know the specifics for the engine part years obviously, so do the different heads make it non interference or something? I am by no means questioning you input in a rude way, I am just curious so I know. Before I started working on Subaru's I was told they are kinda like Legos, it is coming more true every day I work on them, lol.

A good friend of mine always says "Subarus are like legos except when they ain't"...

The heads don't make an engine interference, it's a change on piston design. The difference in timing kit is the hydraulic tensioner, they changed it in 96 or 97. I can tell from your picture you have the old style.