Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 OBW temp and fuel gauge not working after 2.2 swap

hello,

i finally got around to the swap and everything is working except the fuel and temp gauges. temp gauge was "working" at first but reading too low; now it doesn't move. i tried a different cluster and it's the same. any thoughts on this issue?

thank you in advance!

gregg

Edited by hogweed

Connector on the temp sensor is loose or the spade is corroded. The single wire sensor.

Fuel guage could be a handful of things. I would check the connector on top of the pump for corrosion first.

finally have some time to check it out. i was going to put some more fuel in to see if the gauge would move but i found the filler neck had rusted through! i had one from the car the motor came out of that was good so i used it and now it should be fine to fill the tank. i'll check the connectors....

thank you

Connector on the temp sensor is loose or the spade is corroded. The single wire sensor.

Fuel guage could be a handful of things. I would check the connector on top of the pump for corrosion first.

looked at it today and tried the connector theory. it seems to be secure and i pulled it off and reinstalled it a few times in case it was corroded which it didn't appear to be. checked all the fuses and eyeballed all the connectors......didn't try the fuel sender yet because of stuff in the cargo area that i didn't feel like moving today!

Ok, if that didn't make the temp guage work, unplug the wire from the sensor, ground it to the engine on clean metal and turn the key on. The temp guage should rise to the top. If it rises, the temp sensor is bad. If it still doesn't move there could be a wire problem between the guage and the sensor, the guage may not be getting power, or the guage could be faulty.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Ok, if that didn't make the temp guage work, unplug the wire from the sensor, ground it to the engine on clean metal and turn the key on. The temp guage should rise to the top. If it rises, the temp sensor is bad. If it still doesn't move there could be a wire problem between the guage and the sensor, the guage may not be getting power, or the guage could be faulty.

i will try that straight away....i switched out clusters with the same results so i suspect the gauge is ok. i just remembered we had to bypass the alarm under the dash so i'm beginning to think something was unplugged that shouldn't have been

i will try that straight away....i switched out clusters with the same results so i suspect the gauge is ok. i just remembered we had to bypass the alarm under the dash so i'm beginning to think something was unplugged that shouldn't have been

it seems that when i ground that single wire off what i thought was the temp sending unit the oil light stays on. this sending unit is next to the crank sensor right behind the EJ22 stamp. i don't see another single-wire sending unit on the motor anywhere.

edit: after reviewing \several more threads it seems the sensor i need is under the intake on the pass side. i unplugged it and the gauge went all the way up, as was suggested but fairfax....when i cleaned it and plugged it back in i now have a blinking CEL

Edited by hogweed