Ultimate Subaru Message Board

14' Legacy overhead console removal? How to?

I am trying to replace a lock on the overhead console box. It is a P/N 92184 shown here

http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/LOCK-COMPLETE-CONSOLE-BOX/60892020/92184AJ020.html

It looks like it just goes into its place, but first I have to take the old one out. Before taking my Dremel out and grinding the old one out, I am wondering if there is a gentler way to take it out. Perhaps by taking out the whole console box, and pushing the old lock out from the other side?

Here is where I am stuck. There are 2 obvious screws under the box cover, easy taken out, and then pry off the front-facing edge of the console. But something (clip ? P/N W140024 at the top on that diagram) is holding the other side of the box in place rather strongly. Where and how hard should I pry, pull, or push to take it out? Is the clip   clip going to be destroyed? should I get a new one? or two?

Edited by 740gle

740GLE,

From the diagram zoomed in, those metal clips simply pull straight down out of the headliner superstructure. They really are fixed on top of a plastic finger , part of the console, and their spring nature holds then securely. Pulling them straight out should not damage them at all.

I've seen the same fasteners on all kinds of makes of cars, and they almost never break, but the plastic finger they sit on may, if over stressed.

If it were my car, I'd pull the two screws and then yank down the other clipped side, one finger clip at a time. That way you can wiggle and pull at the same time.

Thanks for the hint, it helped indeed. The clips separate fairly easy, just have to push the headliner up and pry the cover down. Old lock unclipped with no problems, just pry one of the sideclips holding it with a small screwdriver and push it out, then same on the other side,and it pushes out all the way. New one just clips in place.