Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 brat (stupid?) question...

I'm not sure of their exact purpose, but I do know they are not mounted in the same spot as the head rests. The head rests were a couple inches towards the outside from those rails. If you look closely at the body you can see where the rail mounts would have been located. On my old 86 someone had riveted the head rest mounts to the body when they installed the jump seats.

I noticed that they were not in the same location, and that they do not extend as deep in the bed as head rest rails. I was considering finding some of the wider rails and figuring out a way to use the existing attachment points to mount them. Maybe welding a couple of tabs onto them so I can off set them to match the correct location above the seats. Have you seen anyone try this?

I want to say they are the same, but I'm not positive about that. I'm going to a junkyard that has a couple 2nd gen brats in it one day this week. At least one of them has the mounts and I think the seat rails still intact. If you'd like I can get the parts off of it for you.

Also here is a thread with good measurements for the mount brackets and seat belt locations.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141474-installing-bed-seats-in-a-1987-brat/

Great info.  Thanks!  If you would be willing to do that, I would be very much appreciative.  No guesswork if they come off of a generation 2.  I will pay you any costs and for  your time of course.  If you happen to spot a rear bumper guard, and a tail gate emblem, those two pieces have been eluding my recent searches as well.

Have a great day!

Which emblem are you looking for on the tailgate? There are 3, the BRAT 4wd on the lower left, the Subaru gl on the upper right, and the Subaru logo on the handle. I have a BRAT 4wd badge that needs to be painted because it's pretty faded. I also have a Subaru GL and a Subaru TURBO badge for the upper left but I'm unsure of their condition as it's been a while since I laid eyes on them.

I can't swear that any of the brats there have rear bumpers but I'll definitely check them for you. I had a hard time finding those little bumplets when I had my last brat in 07/08.

Are you needing the jump seat frame as well? That may be a little harder to remove and ship but I can make it happen if need be.

I need the lower left brat 4wd emblem (sounds like you have one).  I supposedly have a pair of seats and a frame from a guy near me.  I also have a pair of head rests, but no correct rails to put them on.  Yeah, the bumper guards seem to be scarce.  I really appreciate your help.

I'll try to get out to my building and snap a couple pics of the badge this evening. There may actually be some pics of it on the forum, I had a for sale post a couple years ago with a bunch of ea81 parts and several brat specific things.

great emblem!  just what i need.  How much would you like for it?  Or we can wait to see what you come up with at the junk yard and settle up a fair price for all.

Thanks so much for your help, I will have to pay it forward.

I just got word from someone who is sending me some head rest rails, but no mounting brackets.  If you have already pulled the ones from the junk yard, I will still take them, but if not, you could leave them for someone else.

I was only able to get the upper mounts, the lower ones are made from thin bent sheet metal with a net welded on the back side. And all 3 brats that were there had those brackets either too rusty or too bent to be of any use. I'll get some pics of the brackets I got for you tomorrow evening, I got called into work this evening to cover for someone who was sick and have to go back to open up in the morning. Story of managing a restaurant

• 2 weeks later...