Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are there any performance upgrades available for a 93 Impreza?

Where did you find an Allison A250? Boy that brings back memories, ex-rotorhead. I hope you are documenting this. I hope you aren't going to try to mate that to a Subaru tranny.

I have the photos for both my conversions, just haven't gotten around to putting them on my web site (too busy working on car projects :lol: ).

Yea, I knew that was what you were trying to say and boosting power of the 93 Impreza. Like I found out, it is easier to start with a 1.8 the a 2.2, it is almost like the 1.8 was meant to be upgraded by conversion.

WOW!

I really didn't mean to get people all riled up like this! Sorry!

Subarubrat, thank you very much for your advice on what I should do. After tossing it around in my head, I think that a swap is the direction that I want to go in. Unfortunately, do to finances, that will have to wait till next summer.

However, I plan on doing all the research necessary to make this a smooth swap.

To start off my research, I have a few questions that need answering:

1: Exactly what engine should I look for? What year and why?

2: Will I need to change my tranny?

3: Could you pass on any links that would make research go better?

Brat, I dont think we are that far apart on opinions.

Going from a 100hp engine to one pumping out 218hp is a very serious upgrade. And it will work, and I don't doubt the weekend thing, because as you say perparation is vital. There will be no time to waste once the tools start flying.

However, I think it would have been easier to buy a turbo-charged car in the first place. There are many detail differences between the bog-standard Impreza and the WRX. Engine is only part of it. Even if you include things like fuel pump in the engine conversion, the suspension, although similar in components, is very different in geometry. Look under the rear of an EJ18 GC8, can you see an anti-roll bar? Without it, 218hp will mean vicious understeer as soon you get on the gas.

The threaded holes for attaching the end-links are there, but the control arm doesn't have the supports for the rubber bushings that the bar rotates in. So there is welding to be done - not a tool that everyone has access to, or skill to use. Even with the anti-roll bar in place, you'll need to dial out bump-steer on the front axle, uprate the brakes, which will likely mean a new master cylinder inconjunction with new calipers....

I have a craving for more power too! Intake, K&N, and muffler are simple, tidy, and insurance friendly mods while I save up for a Sti...

I would never disrespect anyone for tuning a car!