Ultimate Subaru Message Board

B-Pillar weather seal binding on window corner.

2k OBW

Recently the driver and passenger windows have begun to get hung up on the top corner of the B-pillar weather seal (door jam). This is the corner opposite of the mirror. With the window all the way up and door closed, the corner of the window "sinks" into the weather stripping and creates an overlapping bulge that causes the window to get hung up. Not only does it make the door harder to open but it tugs on the window which is making it seem to loosen up inside the door. With the door open its a lot more floppy than it used to be. Plus the triangle gusset is widening and I have to do the pinch-trick to quiet the wind noise.
My guess is I'd have to replace this b pillar door seal but it looks as though its tucked under the rain gutter and not an easy fix.

has anyone replaced this seal before? I cant find any YouTube videos on the procedure.

In the interim, I've applied some silicone grease to that corner of the weather seal but all it does is reduce the friction when opening. As the silicon dries out (which it already has) the door becomes hard to open again.

PS: this only started happening during/after our cold-snap where in the mornings I'd have to kind of pry the doors open due to them being frozen shut.

If you had to pry the doors open they were probably stuck to the weather seal and pulled the gasket out of the track it fits in. They're sometimes tricky to get back into position properly.

I've found that it helps a ton to apply a silicone weather seal conditioner in winter to keep the Windows from sticking to the seals.

The frameless windows on this and other subie generations have their share of issues. Do follow Fairtax4me's recommendation of using silicone grease or weather seal conditioner, and rub it into the seals with your fingers. You won't have the glass freezing to the seals in the future.

Search the factory service manual under the glass section to see how to realign properly the door glass to the seals. Its time consuming, but be sure to make only small adjustments at a time so you don't get things too far out of whack and aren't able to get back.

The link is for all subie models for all years. Just search to your model and year and download the entire manual. Then go to the door glass section. Read it through several times before you tackle it, Good Luck!

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/