Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In shifting from 4th to 5th the shifter seems to be notchy, and sometimes there is a thud type sound. (nothing loud, but noticed none the less) There is less than 2k on the car. Am I possibly letting off to quickly, or is this a typical suby "break in" type sound.

Guest lothar34
In shifting from 4th to 5th the shifter seems to be notchy, and sometimes there is a thud type sound. (nothing loud, but noticed none the less) There is less than 2k on the car. Am I possibly letting off to quickly, or is this a typical suby "break in" type sound.

Try double-clutching and see if it still does it.

Mine did that too. but now i use hardly any clutch to shift from 3-4 and 4-5. the pedal on my OBS doesnt need to move much at all to engage and shift in the higher gears.

Try double-clutching and see if it still does it.
not to be a pirate, but Can you explain how to double clutch? I have heard of it but i dont know exactly what it means.

Double-clutching is letting the clutch pedal out as the shift lever passes through neutral, then pressing it back in before the gear is made.

You might try shifting differently. Each model of transmission and each gear lube behave a bit differently. I have found that some cars are intolerant of shifting too quickly or too slowly or at too high of RPMs etc. I would just experiment until you find what the car likes. If you are ambitious learning to match speeds will likely improve your shifts as well.