Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I went out to start my 2000 impreza outback sport 2.2 and I got power to my radio, lights, etc but when I turn the key, I get nothing. I checked fuses all all looks good so I'm thinking it's probably something like a starter, solenoid or disconnected wire but I don't know where to look. It never experienced any signs of a problem before this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, I went out to start my 2000 impreza outback sport 2.2 and I got power to my radio, lights, etc but when I turn the key, I get nothing. I checked fuses all all looks good so I'm thinking it's probably something like a starter, solenoid or disconnected wire but I don't know where to look. It never experienced any signs of a problem before this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you try jump starting it? Even though your radio and light are working, the battery might not be strong enough to turn over the engine. I am guessing you are still on the original battery, yes?

It also could just be a loose battery cable. I probably is not the starter,I have not heard of any problem with Subaru starters going bad in only 4 years.

Well I got it somewhat figured out. It seems to be some sort of security system problem/non-understanding. I don't have the remote for unlocking/locking the doors and dis-engaging the alarm but somehow there is something going on with it. I figured out if I hold down the under dash security reset button and turn the ignition at the same time, it will start. But I have to do this every time now. Any idea if I some how enabled some weird security "feature" or is this not normal? I'm happy that it starts consistantly but I shouldn't have to hold down the button every time.

Thanks again!

Yes I've tried pulling fuses and I also disconnected the battery. There's a line in teh owners manual that says something like "In the unlikely event of a security system malfunction, you may have to hold down the reset button while turning the ignition to start the vechicle." The unlikely event that they are talking about seems to be the likely cause for my problem. Would purchasing a remote for the system possibly have an impact on the problem. I this that the remote is required to operate or do anything with the security system anyway isn't it? Maybe if I were to arm it and disarm it, something would reset itself. Probably just wichful thinking though. If I take it into the dealership, I have a feeling that they'll tell me the whole security system needs to be replaced which I'm sure will be expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

i think it is quite unlikely that anything would need to be replaced and if it did i would only let the dealer touch it if they agreed to buy it back if they failed. they knew nothin about the security system on my egacy and unless over 3 years they changed a lot they have no way to diagnose it...

if you wanna try a remote it would be maybe 15 or 20 bucks on ebay..... which id say is worth it. thats where i got mine from.

Well the saga continues...I got the remote off eBay and there's a chance I got the wrong one but it was only $10 and I think I've got other problems before I can get the remote programmed. I was attempting to program the remote I bought by following the instructions in the owners manual and opening the drivers door, hold the programming button in for 15 seconds and wait from the door locks to signal it's in program mode but that never happens. Is it possible that I don't have the keyless capability? If so, how do I determine that? I read something about a black box but where would that be located?

Thanks