Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have any experience with Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on an Outback Wagon? I'm ready for new tires and looking for a quiet ride and good wet traction. My local tire dealer highly recommended these tires. At $312 with rebate, the price is great, but I sure don't want poor performance. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would look for tires that have a mileage guarantee. Even with proper rotations, many tires do not reach their design life on a Legacy. I was considering a firestone tire, and my dealer told me they would not make it to the 40,000 mile mark of the guarantee, but to bring them back in and they would pro-rate another set. I ended up buying Michelin Hydro-edge as timing happened to work out for them being on sale at sears at that time.

You're not going to get poor performance from the Triple Tread. When you buy them, let everyone know what you think.

The tire guy I talk to says people buy a set and bring their other car in the next day and change them over too. I plan on a set before winter sets in.

On the Legacy we've always gotten what was cheap...heh...seems to go through tires fast...might be low quality tires.

On the Outback...well, it came with new Bridgestone or Firestone (I don't recall) and they seem like real nice tires...i'll get the model and make tonight.

Does anyone have any experience with Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on an Outback Wagon? I'm ready for new tires and looking for a quiet ride and good wet traction. My local tire dealer highly recommended these tires. At $312 with rebate, the price is great, but I sure don't want poor performance. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

unless the dealer has them, he wouldn't know, they only came out about a month ago

As far as OB's being tough on tires, I replaced the OEM Michelins at 63,000. At exactly 120,000, I replaced the Michelin Plus tires at that time with the Michelin HydroEdge.

The tire dealer also mentioned that Subarus were tough on tires, and was quite surprised to learn the M Plus still had 5-6 32nds of tread left after 57,000 miles.

The HydroEdge is the best all-around tire I've ever had, on any car. I've had good luck with Goodyears on other cars, though.

I have Bridgestone Turanzas LST on my Forester. They were GREAT this past winter. I put Firestone Affinitys LH30 on my wife's Toyota Camry LE V6. They were also good too.

I do not like Goodyear. They are highly over rated and over priced. I had trouble with their products in the past and they would not honor the warranty or the extended warranty. This was from their own company store.

~Howard

:grin:

I have Bridgestone Turanzas LST on my Forester. They were GREAT this past winter. I put Firestone Affinitys LH30 on my wife's Toyota Camry LE V6. They were also good too.

I do not like Goodyear. They are highly over rated and over priced. I had trouble with their products in the past and they would not honor the warranty or the extended warranty. This was from their own company store.

~Howard

:grin:

Do you recall what kind of Goodyear tire they were?

Do you recall what kind of Goodyear tire they were?
I really don't remember. The line has been discontinued. They kept developing bulges in the sidewalls. They replaced it once for me but then they claimed there was nothing wrong with the tires when it happened again. They said it was due to how the tires were stored when they were at Goodyear ! :banghead:

~Howard

I really don't remember. The line has been discontinued. They kept developing bulges in the sidewalls. They replaced it once for me but then they claimed there was nothing wrong with the tires when it happened again. They said it was due to how the tires were stored when they were at Goodyear ! :banghead:

~Howard

Lemme try to think of the discontinued GY....

Aquatred I, II, III

Club

Wingfoot

Regatta

Eagle I

Any ring a bell?

Was it a buldge or a dip in the sidewall with the GYs?
The best way I can describe it was a dimple. It would come and go. One time I'd see it on one tire and then the next time on another. I was told by a manager at GY that it was ply seperation. Another manager at GY then denied it. The second guy claimed it was the way the tires were stored before mounting. They did replace one tire as a "customer courtesy". The problem continued.

Then GY closed all their company stores and referred me to Just Tires which is their operation.

At Just Tires they just wanted to replace one tire and not both on the same axel. (This was a Mercury Sable. Not a AWD Subie) The original tire model was discontinued at that point. Just Tires said that the tread pattern on the new model was close enough to the original tire. They wanted me to have a mismatched set of tires. I said NO WAY.

The problem kept happening until I finally got rid of the car because the transmission went South.

~Howard

:D