Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

About to abandon my GT search, need clarification?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SubeeTed

SubeeTed

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • mass

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:02 AM

OK!
Thank you all for the mother lode of information to be had at this website! This IS the best type of information....Real Life, First Hand!

I am in pursuit of replacing my '92 Loyale Wgn with 209K miles on it. It will not pass Mass inspection in Oct. Body gone. I do carpenter stuff, I don't want a truck, trucks usually drive around with a full load of AIR in the bed. Not to mention the lack of gas milage. I like the idea of a GT Wagon. It's sporty enough to make me happy, it still carts my stuff around, I can toss the occasional 2X4 at 8 foot long into it AND be AWD. BUT!

I'm finding that these Twin Cam Phase I engines NEED Premium grade fuel. And they don't regulary get 30 MPG.

Now the Head Gasket dilemma, or is it debacle! This particular one (GT) I still haven't seen because it's an hour and a half away....and it's white. It's a 1997 GT 2.5 Phase I. It hsa 123K miles on it. Back in Sept of 2002, 38K miles ago. It craked the 4th cylinder. The dealer replaced lower end, short block. SofA covered the parts, owner paid labor. Now the question is....by doing this......I assume it has had new HEAD GASKETS, does this take care of the head gasket problem? Has the 2002 head gasket set improved and done away with the problem?

Many thanks again, SubeeTed

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:44 AM

In theory, the the head gasket problem should be solved for that car.

#3 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:32 AM

I'm finding that these Twin Cam Phase I engines NEED Premium grade fuel. And they don't regulary get 30 MPG.

Not true. 87 works fine as long as the engine isn't all carboned up. The compression was increased for the Phase II, so they may like a higher AKI, I don't know. We have seen as high as 31 MPG, with 27-28 pretty consistently on the highway. My wife averages 24 winter, 25 summer mixed driving.

#4 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

Hey Ted,

You can research year to year changes and specific trims at http://www.cars101.com. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users