Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Get a long funnel!

Use a new washer on the drain plug and don't overtighten it. 40Nm is enough.

Also, be wary of the oil capacity listed in the manual, that's for a totally dry transmisson. I usually pour in three litres and then drive for a day and top of the level, next morning. If you put in the full 3.5 litres listed in my manual, you will overfill the gearbox.

And wear latex gloves during the whole procedure, tranny oil STINKS!

Drive it at highway speeds for a bit to get the fluid good and warm before you start, helps to get more of the old stuff out. Let it drain until the dripping stops. That's good advice about underfilling a little and carefully topping off.

It IS extremely stinky stuff, and the smell NEVER comes out of clothes.

• 2 weeks later...

Not on ramps, the car must be level for it to drain fully.

You can drive the front wheels up on ramps and let flow until a drip. Then drive back down, leaving the hole unplugged and let the rest flow out. Then, drive it back up the ramps to gain access... Don't worry about the lack of gear oil for the short journey up and down.

MAKE SURE the drain pan will fit under the car even when you drive it back down. ALSO, if you are going underneath the car be certain that the ramps are stable. Push/shake the car by the fenders before you venture underneath, if it does fall during this test at least you won't get crushed.

Be aware that you might need quite a lot of torque to loosen the drain plug, they often get overtightened. I use a two foot extension for this kind of thing, it allows easy control of the force. Don't bang on the drain plug with a hammer! This technique is only for steel oil pans where the plug has rusted in.

It will take between twenty and thirty minutes to drain. During that time I clean up the plug threads, magnet, and install the new washer. Then I open three, one liter, bottles of Castrol TAF-X....and then wait....zzzzzz

Ok I did it! Wow was that easy. The magnet was covered with a silvery sludge and some larger pieces. I put Valvoline 80W90 in and plan on putting Redline NS in after another 5K or so. I drove it around and the dipstick is barely over the Low mark. I only put 3 quarts in and I assume the marks on the dipstick are one quart. So it appears I got it all out and need another .7 quarts. Is this possible or do I have to drive around more before I top it off?