Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale brakes. . and some squeaking from the rear

Hey all,

Got some more questions about my 91 Loyale Wagon/4WD. ( Last time I posted was when I asked if/how I could get more power. . arg, arg, arg, tool man. . eh heh. . anyway. )

A while ago I started having trouble with the brakes not having enough power, and after adjusting the rear drums and checking the front pads to no avail, I replaced the master cylinder. The brakes were then good and solid for a day or so, and then started to taper off a little bit back to where they were. They've still got plenty of stopping power (managed to lock the wheels up from 50MPH to avoid hitting a pig in the road. . an honest-to-god pig. This is Maine. Don't ask. ) But they're nowhere near as powerful or solid-feeling as the brakes on my mom's 96 Legacy Brighton. Is this just normal for Loyales, or does it sound like I've got a problem of some sort? The rear shoes have plenty of beef left on them, as well as the front right pads - front left I didn't check yet.

There's no brake fluid leaking from anywhere that I can see, so I don't think that's a problem. Could the booster be going maybe?

Also, yesterday, I was driving along on a road trip to Bar Harbor, ME to take some pictures, and I noticed that at low speeds, I can hear a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps or rough pavement. I'm voting for the struts in this case. My question here is, do I have anything to worry about if it is the struts? Should I get them replaced ASAP or is it not too big a deal?

Thanks in advance,

-DecimalCat

When you pump the brake pedal and stand on it an you feel the pressure (even if it's every so slowly) drop and the pedal start to come down? If you have SOLID pressure (read: it doesnt slowly drop) then you are not leaking fluid.

Did you 'bench bleed' the master cylinder and then bled the rest of the lines after installation of the new master cylinder? Gotta get all the air out for sure or youll have some soft pedal action !_!

When you adjust the rears; is it back to normal for a day or 2 and then taipers off to its usualy squishy self? If so your adjusters might be shot. I'd suggest just doing a disc upgrade if you could instead of bumbeling around with the drums.

As for the funny squeek'ns in the rear. My struts squeek pretty bad over bumps. No more paint on the springs and seats; just rust :) Jack her up and take the tires off. Look and see just how bad things are in there. If its just surface rust then drive on.