Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 RX broken uppipe (pic)

Since I reassembled the RX I've had a small exhaust leak. Yesterday it got much louder. Took the exhaust pipe loose from the heads and the uppipe basically fell off the car. Mig welded it back together and put it back on.

All better. Boost is back, and more power too.

In a post not long ago I suggested that the turbo uppipe could be removed from the car without jacking up the engine. In hindsight, it looks like getting the pipe to come without any other work than spatial relations probably wasn't a good idea as it stressed the turbo mounting flange.

I did remove the pipe from my parts car to build a jig and start fabbing up a better uppipe in the near future.

Regards,

Jay

23broken_uppipe_003-med.jpg

I had an 87 rx that after replacing the exhaust gaskets still sounded leaky to me. Come to findout the downpipe was broke in half, replaced it with an aftermarket on tho and havent had any issues except it like to blow-out exhaust gaskets, my fix for that was to take two sets of exhaustgaskets and use high temp silicone to sandwich them togther and they haven't blown out yet, but It could be because I am driving the loy-a.LOL

Damn thos turbo exhuast "manifold" gaskets!!!!!!