Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do you access electrical and air hose connectors for the Air strut

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hammer008

hammer008

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • toronto

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

I am putting a new air strut in the rear and need desparate help. I am transportationless meanwhile.

How do you access the electrical and pneumatic connectors for the air strut?...I know it is in the panel beside the rear speaker but I can't seem to figure out how to access it.

Further, what is the official way to unhook the brake line from the strut?
appreciate any help. I know that some people have cut them with bolt cutters but that sounds less elegant.

hammer

#2 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:54 AM

hammer008
I'm assuming this is a wagon.
Jack the car up and put it on jack stands, remove the wheel and loosen the two bolts that hold the strut to the bearing housing
Now the proper way to disconnect the brake line from the strut is to unbolt it, some people cut/slot the bracket so they don’t have to bleed the brakes. This is up to you to decide! Being in Toronto I’ll bet it’s a little rusted
Remove the cover on the strut tower /speaker cover, remove the speaker with its support bracket under that there is a black piece of insulation lift that up. You should see 3 nuts (12mm); those hold the top of the strut. Support the suspension and unbolt the nuts .Let the suspension down (CAREFULLY) 2" and stop, Now there is a cover at the top of the strut that you will have to take off (8mm bolts) These bolts are usually seized, so I hope you have some good penetrating oil! Once you have the cover off you can access the air line to the strut at the solenoid. Gently pry the 3 tags back that hold the air line in the solenoid (be careful you are going to use the solenoid again if you did not get one on your new strut. You should get new o-rings for the solenoid and the air line)
Next the electrical connection is accessed up at the body, follow it up to the body to the grommet pull the grommet out and "gently" pull the wire till you pull the connectors through the body then disconnect it there. Make sure it doesn’t fall back inside the body! Lower the strut further take it out and reverse the order to install
Hope this helps
SEA#3

#3 hammer008

hammer008

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • toronto

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

hammer008
I'm assuming this is a wagon.
Jack the car up and put it on jack stands, remove the wheel and loosen the two bolts that hold the strut to the bearing housing
Now the proper way to disconnect the brake line from the strut is to unbolt it, some people cut/slot the bracket so they don’t have to bleed the brakes. This is up to you to decide! Being in Toronto I’ll bet it’s a little rusted
Remove the cover on the strut tower /speaker cover, remove the speaker with its support bracket under that there is a black piece of insulation lift that up. You should see 3 nuts (12mm); those hold the top of the strut. Support the suspension and unbolt the nuts .Let the suspension down (CAREFULLY) 2" and stop, Now there is a cover at the top of the strut that you will have to take off (8mm bolts) These bolts are usually seized, so I hope you have some good penetrating oil! Once you have the cover off you can access the air line to the strut at the solenoid. Gently pry the 3 tags back that hold the air line in the solenoid (be careful you are going to use the solenoid again if you did not get one on your new strut. You should get new o-rings for the solenoid and the air line)
Next the electrical connection is accessed up at the body, follow it up to the body to the grommet pull the grommet out and "gently" pull the wire till you pull the connectors through the body then disconnect it there. Make sure it doesn’t fall back inside the body! Lower the strut further take it out and reverse the order to install
Hope this helps
SEA#3

Thanks! Bless you! :drunk:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users