Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.8 Turbo Engine Re-Seal

I'm replacing the leaking camshaft seals in my son's 1987 GL10 Turbo Wagon this weekend and also need to reseal the camshaft housing (where the housing meets the head) on the passenger side. Has anyone removed the camshaft housing in the car? Any tips you'd care to share? Sure appreciate any advice.

Phillip

I haven't done this on a turbo car, but I can offer a bit of advice.

#1, all important, listen to this if you only listen to one thing, do this for sure tip: On the mating surface between the head and the cam carrier, use Permatex Anaerobic Sealant. It's translucent red and comes in a blue tube. The stuff recommended by the factory is really hard to find, and this stuff is just as good. RTV silicone is commonly used, but this stuff is better. Because it's anaerobic, any excess sealant that gets inside the oil passages doesn't set up and is washed away by the oil. With RTV, it can clump up and clog passages and stuff, which is not good. Also, Anaerobic sealant is less prone to leakage, as it sets up harder. Also, make sure that the surfaces are absolutely clean and dry and there is no gunk left in the groove around the edge of the cam carrier.

I have only done this with the engine pulled, so I can only echo what I've heard before about unbolting the motor mounts and jacking up the side of the engine that you're working on for better access.

Don't forget the little O-ring that seals the oil passage. I usually "glue" it in place with a light coating of sealant, because if it gets dislodged during assembly, you'll be plaqued by oil pressure problems and possibly leakage.

Good luck!