Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Parking brake doesn't hold

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,915 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:14 AM

What's the easiest way to adjust the parking brake on 93 Legacy L? With the lever pulled all the way up it barely "grabs". I think it has disc brakes on all 4 wheels and they were serviced recently but I don't know what was on the innards.

#2 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

I hope this link gets you where you want to go. If not, search for the AutoZone page and vehicle repair guides.

It may be frozen up too. Use a lot of penetrating oil on the linkages.

http://www1.autozone...23d801e75e1.jsp

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

Handbrake activates internal drums on the rear wheels. You can start by doing the easy thing: Remove the cowling around the handbrake and take up the slack in the cable with the adjustment system attached to the handbrake lever.

If this is not enough, then the brakes shoes are worn.

#4 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,915 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. I did the handbrake lever adjustment beneath the console and it seems to be adequate for nowl

#5 paulandirene

paulandirene

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Albuquerque, NM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:56 PM

My 96 Legacy OBW's parking brake lever will hold.....if you pull up on the lever, and manually push in the pawl that engages the teeth (this also pushes the button out). The parking brake releases just fine by the normal procedure of lifting slightly, pushing in the button, then lowering the lever. However the button remains in the "in" position. So, I'm pretty sure a spring in the parking brake lever is broken.

Without pulling the parking brake lever assembly out to visually inspect it, I cannot tell if it is something I could fix (by locating a spring that matches closely enough to do the job) or if it's a potmetal POS that can't be repaired and will require that I peruse the wrecking yards for another one. Thought I'd ask the board for its opinion before proceeding, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users