Ultimate Subaru Message Board

outer drive axle wont budge

i want to replace wheel bearing and ive got the inner joint off the diff., but the outter one wont come off. book says simply slip off axle. help! yes ive got the pin out.

thanks floor tom

are you trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing? sounds it.

you need to get someone to hold the upper part of the axle. then you screw the hub bolt on backwards place a piece of wood over it and whack it repeatedly till the axle moves backwards. do you get what i am saying?

you dont want to ruin the thread on your axle or the nut. it worked for me on the front.

are you trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing? sounds it.

you need to get someone to hold the upper part of the axle. then you screw the hub bolt on backwards place a piece of wood over it and whack it repeatedly till the axle moves backwards. do you get what i am saying?

you dont want to ruin the thread on your axle or the nut. it worked for me on the front.

ive pulled the pin on the outer cv, but it wont move off the axle. used med. wackage with small sledg. im afaid im gonna bung it up!

ive pulled the pin on the outer cv, but it wont move off the axle. used med. wackage with small sledg. im afaid im gonna bung it up!
not sure we are on the same page here?

your trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing right. and the axle has been removed from the diff. ?

or your tryin to slide the axle off the diff?

think we have different cars. im thinking ea81.

ahaha

seems the front and rear are different.

not sure we are on the same page here?

your trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing right. and the axle has been removed from the diff. ?

or your tryin to slide the axle off the diff?

Rear axles and front axles are not the same. The rears have two pinned cv's, and the stub axle stays in the bearing.

floortom: Search the old gen forum for "rear axle removal" and you'll find a bunch of relevant threads. Most of which will say "use heat and a hammer".

As for me, I couldn't get the drive axle off. But I didn't try very hard.

sounds like its RUSTED on. I had one do that. PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heat heat heat....bang bang bang....about 3 hrs later, it came off. :banghead:

Otherwise, since you ARE replacing the wheel bearing and have to take the stub out of the trailing arm anyhow....remove the stub with the axle on it. Thats how I did it.