Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

outer drive axle wont budge

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 floortom

floortom

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • portland or

Posted 10 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

i want to replace wheel bearing and ive got the inner joint off the diff., but the outter one wont come off. book says simply slip off axle. help! yes ive got the pin out.
thanks floor tom

#2 dustyrider

dustyrider

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Palisade

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

i want to replace wheel bearing and ive got the inner joint off the diff., but the outter one wont come off. book says simply slip off axle. help! yes ive got the pin out.
thanks floor tom

are you trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing? sounds it.

you need to get someone to hold the upper part of the axle. then you screw the hub bolt on backwards place a piece of wood over it and whack it repeatedly till the axle moves backwards. do you get what i am saying?

you dont want to ruin the thread on your axle or the nut. it worked for me on the front.

#3 floortom

floortom

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • portland or

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:11 PM

are you trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing? sounds it.

you need to get someone to hold the upper part of the axle. then you screw the hub bolt on backwards place a piece of wood over it and whack it repeatedly till the axle moves backwards. do you get what i am saying?

you dont want to ruin the thread on your axle or the nut. it worked for me on the front.

ive pulled the pin on the outer cv, but it wont move off the axle. used med. wackage with small sledg. im afaid im gonna bung it up!

#4 dustyrider

dustyrider

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Palisade

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

ive pulled the pin on the outer cv, but it wont move off the axle. used med. wackage with small sledg. im afaid im gonna bung it up!

not sure we are on the same page here?

your trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing right. and the axle has been removed from the diff. ?

or your tryin to slide the axle off the diff?

think we have different cars. im thinking ea81.

ahaha

seems the front and rear are different.

#5 singletrack

singletrack

EA Abuser

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Palisade, Colorado

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:29 PM

not sure we are on the same page here?

your trying to pull the axle out of the wheel bearing right. and the axle has been removed from the diff. ?

or your tryin to slide the axle off the diff?

Rear axles and front axles are not the same. The rears have two pinned cv's, and the stub axle stays in the bearing.

floortom:
Search the old gen forum for "rear axle removal" and you'll find a bunch of relevant threads. Most of which will say "use heat and a hammer".

As for me, I couldn't get the drive axle off. But I didn't try very hard.

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:53 PM

sounds like its RUSTED on. I had one do that. PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heat heat heat....bang bang bang....about 3 hrs later, it came off. :banghead:

Otherwise, since you ARE replacing the wheel bearing and have to take the stub out of the trailing arm anyhow....remove the stub with the axle on it. Thats how I did it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users