Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loud front end clanking noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kvaleras

kvaleras

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Baltimore

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:39 PM

Hello!

Some time ago I noticed the noise coming from the front of car while braking at 55+ mph. It wasn't bad, plus it turned out brake rotors were badly worn. So I replaced them, and there wasn't any noise. Well, not for long. A little after rotor replacement, the noise came back on, only louder, and at 40+ mph, and sounded like metal clanking, sort of a blacksmith sound. Last week I replaced brake pads, but nothing changed, only I noticed the noise becomes louder and especially when I brake while turning right.

What should I look at? Can I somehow inspect weel bearing?

Thanks a bunch!

#2 deiscient

deiscient

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Boston, MA USA

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

snip ...especially when I brake while turning right.

snip again Can I somehow inspect weel bearing?

If it is pronounced while turning that suggests a bad CV joint. Are your axle boots torn open? If so road dirt may have gotten in and wrecked your axle joints.

Unfortunately, the bearings on Subes are sealed so inspection would involved substantial disassembly of the wheel units.

#3 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:43 PM

My left boot is torn and my CV is goopy. I get a clank (sounds like a rock in a hubcap) when I turn left at very slow speeds. I'm saving my money for new cats. Replacing my axle is kinda low on my list. Me bad.

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

forgotten us?

#5 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

Nope, didn't forget my favorite bunch of Subi-geeks! I just don't have a computer, except the one I can borrow at the library or quick sneaky uses when the receptionist is away from her desk at work.

I miss you all... sigh.

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

and don't forget to polish your Subaru!

#7 axxiom

axxiom

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

Hello!

Some time ago I noticed the noise coming from the front of car while braking at 55+ mph. It wasn't bad, plus it turned out brake rotors were badly worn. So I replaced them, and there wasn't any noise. Well, not for long. A little after rotor replacement, the noise came back on, only louder, and at 40+ mph, and sounded like metal clanking, sort of a blacksmith sound. Last week I replaced brake pads, but nothing changed, only I noticed the noise becomes louder and especially when I brake while turning right.

What should I look at? Can I somehow inspect weel bearing?

Thanks a bunch!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When the anti-lock brake system is activated, the characteristic sound is a repetitive clanking from the front end.
When I first got my 2000 Legacy GT wagon, I did some hard braking in the rain and heard this sound(yep, the car stopped straight and true on the rain slicked road). The service advisor at a local Subaru dealership said it was the normal ABS sound.
Since, I would assume, you are using your brakes normally, perhaps your car's ABS(if, indeed, your particular Subaru has ABS) is malfunctioning.......activating when not necessary.
You might want to get this checked out.

#8 kvaleras

kvaleras

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Baltimore

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:22 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
When the anti-lock brake system is activated, the characteristic sound is a repetitive clanking from the front end.
When I first got my 2000 Legacy GT wagon, I did some hard braking in the rain and heard this sound(yep, the car stopped straight and true on the rain slicked road). The service advisor at a local Subaru dealership said it was the normal ABS sound.
Since, I would assume, you are using your brakes normally, perhaps your car's ABS(if, indeed, your particular Subaru has ABS) is malfunctioning.......activating when not necessary.
You might want to get this checked out.

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't have ABS. What I noticed though was torn boot on the inner end of the left steering gear. Could this be a problem? Or maybe that's just a coincidence?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users