Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to program a keyless remote, 99+ Legacy/Outback

Guest turbohounds

We just purchased a 1999 Outback and so far have been very pleased with it. There was only one remote, so we purchased another, and tried to program it according to the factory owners manual. Only problem is the instructions don't work (turn the key on - lock 10 times, nothing happens). All I can find is it is the Alpine remote. Can anyone tell me how to program this thing?

We also have been having problems with the speedometer dying - the dealer claims they will fix the problem. Hopefully this isn't something common with the Subies.

Quick intro - my wife and I are big AWD fans, we also own a '92 AWD Talon and '93 AWD Laser. We autocross the Talon, and plan on setting up the Laser for rally now that we have a "practical" car :) More than likely the Subie will stay stock, although in my hands nothing does for long if I can help it.

** Moderator edit-- topic change for clarity ***

Guest samtheblur

From my security manual, word for word:

"

1. Open the driver's door.

2. Turn the vehicle ignition to the on position.

3. Press and hold the Emergency Override / Programming button in. After aproximatly 15 seconds, the siren will chirp 3 times. This indicates tha the system is in the Transmitter Programming Mode. DO NOT RELEASE THE EMERGENCY OVERRIDE / PROGRAMMING BUTTON.

4. Press the LOCK button on the new transmitter. The siren will chirp once.

5. Repeat step 4 for any additional transmitters.

6. Exit the Transmitter Programming Mode by release the Emergency Override / Programming button and turning the vehicle ignition off. Test all remote transmitters to ensure that they are working properly."

Notes: The Override button it speaks of is a black button mounted underneith the dash on the driver's side. When programming, make sure you're somewhere away from other ppl that are using their clickers.... don't want the car learning their remote code.

HTH,

samf

Guest SmashPDX

Sam,

If your manual is for a 95-98 it doesn't apply. The 95-98 keyless entry setup is manufactured by Code Alarm, the 99 is a different system manufactured by Alpine. Both systems are rebadged as "Subaru." Your instructions sound like a 95-98 setup to me.

Anybody with a 99 with keyless entry got instructions? I believe the 2000+ models also use the same Alpine setup.

Guest turbohounds

Am I the only one who's tried to program a remote for the 99+?

I did find one website suggesting disconnecting the battery before trying the owner's manual procedure. I'll post for the archives if I can figure a way to get the Alpine system into program mode.

Guest turbohounds

Hopefully this will help the next person that comes by searching archived posts.

To program the Alpine keyless remote on '99 and up Subaru's, disconnect the battery, then reconnect. Then, get in the drivers seat and close the door. Turn the key to on and back to lock 10 times within 15s. The horn will beep two times to show you are in program mode. Open the drivers door and close it. Press the remote button, the horn will beep once to show it has been programmed. Repeat door open/close/remote set for up to four remotes. If less than four remotes, program all four channels with your existing remotes. Remove the key, horn will beep three times to show you have exited programming mode.

The secret not in the '99 manual is that you must first disconnect the battery to clear all old codes. Hope this helps someone else avoid having the dealer program their remotes.

Guest SmashPDX

(1) unplug battery.

(2) initiate programming sequence, with battery unplugged.

(3) reconnect battery.

(4) do dance around car while alarm goes off for 25 seconds. If you are off by 1 second, return to step 1.

(5) shake remote at car.

(6) unplug battery.

(7) reconnect battery.

(:cool: shake remote at car while whistling shaman chants, and initiate programming sequence.

(9) get in car.

(10) drive away.

Ok, just kidding. :)

• 1 year later...

Okay, how about what do you do if you tried unplugging battery, followed all the other directions (open & close door, 10 on/offs, etc) but never get the horn to blow to enter programming mode, ergo can't get Alpine Keyless remote to operate or arm system?

Anyone have an idea what to try next?

Bill, thank for the link. I had already been to that site and followed the instructions as posted ( even tried cycling the key on/off as many as 18 times in 15 sec) and was never able to get the horn to beep. Checked the horn, it works fine. Any other ideas?

Hi,

I have an '04 Forester, but I believe it's the same Alpine system -- I was doubting my sanity after carefully following the directions in the manual but still unsuccessfully trying (several times) to program an additional remote for my Forester. It turns out that, although I was moving the key 10X within 15 seconds, I wasn't doing it fast enough.

Based on the number of posts on this topic (take a look at this and similar threads at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=467122), I see that it's a fairly common issue. I learned that the "trick" (if there is one) is to very quickly move the key back and forth from "lock" to "on". In other words, don't wait for the chime or any of the relays to cycle on. After picking up the pace, I was able to get the system into program mode and got the remote working.

Hope this helps.

Do you have a keyless box?

I know it sounds stupid.......but even though it may be a "factory" option they can still come with out a remote box!

I had the same problem as you! No matter how many times I programmed it:confused: It would not work!

I had the dealer try it then he looked in his computer to see if I had it (even though it was a standard feature). I didn't have it on my car! I had to get the black box before my "standard feature" keyless feature would work.

I got it from a JY for $15 and it took longer to find the box than install it! (15 min). Check to see if your car really has the box!

For what its worth...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer no doors or locks!

01 Forester, Ebay remotes and black box!