Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The noise "seems" to come from the rear although being the single driver I can't tell from which side (or if it's centered).

This only happens in specific conditions:

1- turning right in a reasonably sharp turn (parking lot aisle turns can do it... provided the following hold true as well)

2- Curve is banked "the wrong way" something like 5-10 degrees so that the left edge of the car is lower than the right edge... i.e. _NOT_ the way a racetrack curve would bank

3- On the gas during the turn.

I'm impressed with how specific it is, and I am a bit relieved that it doesn't happen at all in slow turns (no matter how sharp) which to me indicates it is less likely to be differential (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Some thoughts: brakes are starting to shimmy a bit so they are due for a turn before long. The noise is never a steady scrape... even if the turn is a steady turn. It seems to pulse with wheel revolution as if whatever is grinding or rubbing is not aligned on the axle.

I'm just hoping to get an idea of how urgent this might be or see if anyone else saw something similar. There was a similar post that indicated a turn-specific scraping happened based on part of the rotor rubbing on the backplate. This sounds pretty close but I'm hoping to narrow it down just so I don't get taken through the laundry list of replacements to find something sneaky and hidden.

-Thanks,

Andy