Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How does one program a keyless entry/alarm remote?

Guest Voldomer

I just purchased a '98 Legacy Outback, but it only came with one keyless entry/alarm keychain remote. I need a second one, but the dealer charges $68 to program it (above the $48 for the part). I've read on Subaru boards that programming is easy, but I can't find directions on how to do it. Can anyone help?

Guest CincyBuckeye

The question is, what type of system do you have? If it is the Code Alarm type (squarish remotes with square buttons), then Russ has more info than anyone I know on his web pages (www.randomsoup.com/subie.html), including manuals for that type of remote. Programming remotes is on p.7 or 8 of that mini-manual.

If it is the newer type (ovoid buttons, one big, one small), then I don't know of an information source for how to program those remotes into the system. All I can offer in that case is the hope that someone else on the board will come to your rescue.

--Chris

Guest VDCHawk

If it's a newer one, here's the directions from my '01 manual.

1. Disarm if security option installed

2. Open drivers door, get in, close drivers door (becomes important below)

3. Cycle ignition key LOCK-ON-LOCK 10 times in 15 seconds stopping at lock, leave key in. Horn should beep to indicate programming mode.

4. OPEN DOOR

5. CLOSE DOOR

6. Press any button on new transmitter, horn should sound twice.

7. Repeat 4,5,6 for additional transmitters

8. Remove key, horn should sound 3 times.

You can do up to 4 transmitters in the new system. Just FYI the new system is made by Alpine according to the FCC code.

Guest Voldomer

Thanks for all the info. I did buy the remote and decided to program it myself, but I'm having no luck. Mine is the older one with square buttons. It came with directions similar to those on the linked web site, but I can't figure out which button to push to enter programming mode. The button/flashing light on my dash does nothing when I hold it down for 15+ seconds (I've tried as long as a minute), and I can't find a button on the wiring harness.

Guest rcoaster

That's the valet button. The programming button is wired into the wiring harness, and might be mounted in a location next to the hood release. In it's keyless entry only installation, its on the wiring harness, near the module. Look for the hood release, and there should be a small button with a black protector sheild around it to prevent accidental pressing by simply bumping it.

That's the programming button, or you can go back to Russ site and look up the specfic "port" for the programming button, and run that port to ground.

Guest Voldomer

Thanks Rcoaster. I looked, but I still can't find it, either mounted or on a wire. I can see the black box marked as the security system controller, but I can't get a good look at what wires are connected to it because it is behind so many other things. I'm afraid that if I unhook any connections, I won't remember where they go back, etc.

Guest Voldomer

Rcoaster, you were exactly correct, and somehow I (and, for a long time, a guy who used to install these things for a Subaru dealership) missed it.

For those who might encounter this later, it was behind the hood release, and it was a small button inside a surprisingly-large lip. I suppose I had felt it earlier and thought it was a bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...