Ultimate Subaru Message Board

someone thought it right to steal my car for a joyride that didnt last too long (they caught a flat tire). but now i have a popped ignition lock and a flat tire. Does anyone know how much it costs to it fixed roughly? I have never worked on the steering column so, is this a job that i could do because i know how to wire and stuff? also if anyone knows how to rewire my car to make it a push button or make a switch that must be set to the on position for this to work. i trust that it would just be shorting the wire to go over a switch that i could put some where that must be pushed in for the car to turnover. i would greatly appreciate any input. it is a 91 subaru legacy LS. thanks all.

PS...could u not steal cars from broke, college students trying to get an education!!

Remove the steering column cowling. Four screws hold the cowl together.

The ignition switch has a big black connector, with some thick wires in it. Use a mulitimeter to work out which one is the "start" wire and build that into your "immobiliser" circuit.

Changing the ignition barrel itself is a bit of a pain, and the you will have different keys for the doors and ignition :-(

thanks...how much of pain is it to change the ignition barrel cause that is exactly what i need done? i dont mind having different keys for the ignition and the door.

Also i was reading and found out that its easy to take the window down on a subaru older model...does anyone know of any place that can make a door panel thing for the top...or is there a car model that would be a good one to switch and fabricate a new door?

I used to park my Jeep at marinas and sail away for days. It was very common for vehicles left to be stolen or vandalized and they know how to defeat all the common systems.

I made my own with a padlock hood lock, a cut off on the starter, and another cut off for the fuel pump if they got past that.

My Jeep was such a pain that they tried and went on to somebody else.

I tricked myself on this too though. It was also common to steal the trailer hitch so I drilled the thing and put in two sheet metal screws and then bondoed and painted over them. About ten years later I wanted to remove the hitch and was laying under the Jeep and wailing on the hitch with a sledge hammer when I remembered the screws. I imagine that hitch is still in there unless someone took a torch to it.

Well, changing the ignition barrel just involves a lot of disassembly and that often means breaking a few things on the way in....once you have the cowl off, you will be able to trace your way around and remove the barrel, but be patient!

I would strongly recommend finding one a junkyard. If it's still in the donor car, you get to practice on that!