Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV System

samo

I'm trying to add a catch tank to prevent oil from making its way into the combustion chambers from the PCVs, but unlike any other car I've seen, my EA82 has a T-fitting attached to the intake tube. What's this T-fitting do? The only thing I can think of is it adds vaccuum to the system to help pull the oil off the passenger side's valve cover, since the hose lengths are not equal to the PCV. So my plan is to run new hosing from both valve covers with a T in the middle, which routes to the catch can, and from the can to the PCV valve. I'll plug the hole in the intake pipe. Think this should work?

Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about:

356878_202_full.jpg

yu0r pic is teh red x

I know exactly what fitting you're talking about though. In 1991 Subaru issued a TSB addressing the problem with worn out pcv's allowing oil to dump into the intake on hard corners. The retrofit involved adding in this tee and extra hose. Every Loyale made from 1992-up has it. In theory, you shouldn't have any oil ingestion problems- I never did with my 92.

Shouldn't be a red X, it's linked from Cardomain... oh well.

Anyway, in theory I shouldn't be getting a whole lot of oil, and I'm not, but I am getting a little bit, both through the blue T in the intake tube and through the PVC valve, and I wouldn't mind eliminating both sources of oil. After all, oil doesn't do anything great for combustion, really.

So, the reason this T is there is a failsafe against worn PCV systems? My PCV system has all of 10,000 miles on it, so it's in fine shape. That makes me think I can eliminate the T, plug the hole, and route the PCV lines where they need to go to the can. Sound right?