Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welcome to the 'Retrofitting' forum

calebz

As the years go by and our old soobs get older, many of you may have noticed a marked decrease in available parts.

Or perhaps you want your Subaru to perform better, but have noticed the appalling lack of available aftermarket.

Whether your goal is a faster soob, more technologically updated soob, or you just have newer stuff laying around and want to try it out, this is the place for you.

From intercoolers to suspension, Transmissions to Brakes, there are a number of ways to incorporate newer Subaru technology into an older car. Thats what this place is all about. Some of the things have been tried (both successfully and otherwise) by members in the past, others are sure to be awaiting discovery.

So come look, ask questions, make suggestions and have fun!

I guess this would pass for the "EA82T Forum" in a sense....
There will be quite a lot of that, I'm sure.

But this is also the place to ask about things like changing the charging system from the old external regulator style to the newer internally regulated type.

Thats just one example of non EA82T stuff appropriate here.

OTOH, it sure will be nice to see all the TD04 stuff in one place

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There will be quite a lot of that, I'm sure.

But this is also the place to ask about things like changing the charging system from the old external regulator style to the newer internally regulated type.

I have a pretty much stock 84 gl wagon 4wd that i have had electrical problems with in the past, and am planning on redoing most of the essential electrical system soon. i have not heard of this old "external" to new "internal" regulator swap that you are mentioning and am wondering if i should consider doing it as well? not exactly sure what you are talking about here specifically whether the alternator itself or a separate component but i am looking to modernize if i can and also have as many amps available to my disposal for peripherals like lights as well. is there a thread for such?