Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

I did a quick search but wasn't able to find a question exactly like mine. Here is the situation:

94 Legacy AWD wagon 2.2 5 speed with 200,000 miles. It is green with a tan interior if that info helps ;-)

When the clutch is in the transmission is quite as a mouse. While in neutral with the car idling when I let the clutch out I hear a fair amount of transmission noise. First thing in the morning when cold, the car will actually start to move forward (very slight but with no authority) like it is in gear. When the transmission is warmer it still makes noise but it will not move the car when the clutch is let out while in neutral. When driving the wind and road noise make more noise than the transmission.

The car upshifts and downshifts with little effort. When downshifting into 1st it is more difficult than downshifting from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd but not hard like I have to use a crowbar or a winch.

I recently (8 weeks ago) changed the transmission fluid. I put Coastal (from AutoZone) APL GL-5 (whatever the owners manual said). It isn't any better and I might speculate the noise is growing worse.

I read threads and posts about synthetic fluid and Redline but will that quite down the manual transmission? The transmission is not so loud it sounds like a cement mixer full of gravel but you can definitely hear it.

Is there any magic additive? Like lard or Dr. McRipoff's Snake Oil or something like that?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Greg

It's probably the throwout bearing, and/or the clips that hold it on.

I thought about the throwout bearing but what about the slight surge forward when the clutch is let out while in neutral?

Does the throwout bearing turn when the clutch is released? I thought the throwout bearing only turned when pressure was applied with the fork and the throwout bearing came in contact with the pressure plate little finger jobs (how is that for technical talk).

When the clutch is being applied or released there is no other noise, just the one I mentioned.

Back in the 30s my late grandfather told me it was common to use sawdust to quiet a transmission before one sold a car. Maybe I will try that next. Who wants to buy a nice Legacy wagon with a super quiet 5spd tranny!!??

Thanks for any help or opinions,

Greg