Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Engine: Rebuild it, Replace it(reman vs. used), or get something else
Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:50 PM
Ok, the Jackrabbit is officially on "life support". I have 3 options to choose from:
1) I pull the engine and rebuild it, putting new head gaskets on it, and replacing seals and other parts where they look worn. This will obviously take some time, and about 200-300 bucks in parts. So figure a week of work.
2) I get either a remanufactured (~3000 monies) or a used (300-500 monies) engine, and replace the whole damn thing. It most likely will be a used engine, considering I do not have the $$ for a remanufactured engine. Figure about 300-500 and about 2-3 days of work. Downside is that I get an engine that only lasts a few thousand and it craps out again.
3) I cut my losses and just purchase another vehicle for now, (~1500 greenbacks) and either sell the Scoob or store it until I can repair it, and sell my temp car.
Out of the three choices, I am leaning towards number 1 or 3. I honestly am very hesitant about putting a used engine in the car, since most used part lots don't know the history of the engine (granny driven or whipped like cream). I could probably get a loan and a cheap car for right now, the upshot being I could probably find something that was well taken care of for cheap, and use it until I get the Soob up and running again.
Basically I am just trying to see what other people would do in my situation. I have about a 4 week break in classes coming up, so I have the time to decide. I have been using public trans up here in Kzoo, the bonus being that I ride the buses for free (WMU student). The downside being, it takes an hour to get somewhere on a bus, that usually takes 15 min by car. So, that's what I am weighing here. Like I said, I just want to see what you guys think, were you in my situation. Thanks for replies in advance, and TTYL
Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:36 PM
I'm sure Josh will chime in and let me know if I am wrong. I am heading down that path myself so I too was weighing my options.
Keep us informed with what you decide.
Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:50 PM
Ok, the Jackrabbit is officially on "life support".
Need More Info!!!
Do you have rod knock, blown HG, burning oil bad? what???
Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:41 PM
More info would be good. My car seems to run poopy since I changed the timing belt and gutted the cat. Since then is seems it is going down hill. My tranny is acting finiky too. Maybe I will find a wrecked legacy when my engine finally goes to the great j/y in the sky.
I most likely will stick a 5mt into my car. While I have the engine out would be the perfect time to do all the work that needs to be done so I can use the 5MT setup.
Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:45 PM
Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:35 PM
Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:18 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users