Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine: Rebuild it, Replace it(reman vs. used), or get something else

Hi guys,

Ok, the Jackrabbit is officially on "life support". I have 3 options to choose from:

1) I pull the engine and rebuild it, putting new head gaskets on it, and replacing seals and other parts where they look worn. This will obviously take some time, and about 200-300 bucks in parts. So figure a week of work.

2) I get either a remanufactured (~3000 monies) or a used (300-500 monies) engine, and replace the whole damn thing. It most likely will be a used engine, considering I do not have the $$ for a remanufactured engine. Figure about 300-500 and about 2-3 days of work. Downside is that I get an engine that only lasts a few thousand and it craps out again.

3) I cut my losses and just purchase another vehicle for now, (~1500 greenbacks) and either sell the Scoob or store it until I can repair it, and sell my temp car.

Out of the three choices, I am leaning towards number 1 or 3. I honestly am very hesitant about putting a used engine in the car, since most used part lots don't know the history of the engine (granny driven or whipped like cream). I could probably get a loan and a cheap car for right now, the upshot being I could probably find something that was well taken care of for cheap, and use it until I get the Soob up and running again.

Basically I am just trying to see what other people would do in my situation. I have about a 4 week break in classes coming up, so I have the time to decide. I have been using public trans up here in Kzoo, the bonus being that I ride the buses for free (WMU student). The downside being, it takes an hour to get somewhere on a bus, that usually takes 15 min by car. So, that's what I am weighing here. Like I said, I just want to see what you guys think, were you in my situation. Thanks for replies in advance, and TTYL

ScoobySchmitty

Check on ebay. You can get a pretty good, low milage engine there for a good price. You might have to change the wiring a little bit if you buy an engine over 94 but I do believe 90-94 are the same.

I'm sure Josh will chime in and let me know if I am wrong. I am heading down that path myself so I too was weighing my options.

Keep us informed with what you decide.

2.2's blowing head gasket...unheard of.

More info would be good. My car seems to run poopy since I changed the timing belt and gutted the cat. Since then is seems it is going down hill. My tranny is acting finiky too. Maybe I will find a wrecked legacy when my engine finally goes to the great j/y in the sky.

I most likely will stick a 5mt into my car. While I have the engine out would be the perfect time to do all the work that needs to be done so I can use the 5MT setup.

All the symptoms point to a blown head gasket. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, the best way to find out would be to get a mech to look it over, but the nearest is about 25 mi away, and I know she won't make it that far without overheating. What really puzzles me is that it suddenly starts overheating, and not necessarily on overload. After I replaced the water pump, it took forever to get warm (at about 1500 RPM too), and after that, I took it on a quick run to make sure it would stay cool, and each time, it got hot (AT THE SAME TURN TOO) and QUICKLY. I wasn't even pushing it the 2nd time and it did it again. The only other thing I can think of is that there is a big air bubble somewhere, and I can't flush the damn thing out.

I would have went with an OEM waterpump. I bet you had to drain the water to do the pump and I am almost willing to bet that you didn't get all the air out of the system. Please take our advice and burb your system. I would hate for you to replace your engine because of air in the system. Please just try and see what happens. If you lived near me I would do it for you at your house as I have had to do it with my legacy.

my 93 legacy blew the head gasket, sheesh....man, it just passed 378,000 miles too. I thought these last forever (snicker, snicker) ended up getting a 90 engine with 66k on it for $500 bucks at a junk yard. Swapped the injectors and wiring harness and am consistently getting 5 mpg. less than the 93, still can' t figure that out!