Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1996 Outback

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VWillis

VWillis

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:12 AM

Should I buy a 96 Outback with 120,000 miles?

#2 skitown

skitown

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:21 AM

If it is cheap, well maintained, clean...
My '96 Subaru w/ 108,000 miles and has had the following major fixes:
Replaced timing belt
Replaced rear struts/shocks

Otherwise - it is running strong and I expect it to for some time.

#3 VWillis

VWillis

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:33 AM

Would you consider $5,700. too much to pay IF everything checks out? I plan to have someone give it a once over but wanted to get some feedback from actual owners first.
This is about the "cheapest" thing I've been able to find in my area ( Dallas/FtW).

#4 skitown

skitown

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 August 2003 - 10:39 AM

I'm not an expert on price.. but here are my two cents..

I like to look at cars.com for price comparison.
You can compare the Subaru to other similar vehicles in other areas of the country. I have noticed that the Subarus are cheaper on the east coast and higher up here in the rockies.
If you are not tall - I'm 6'2" - then the regualar legacy is often times cheaper.

Best of luck.

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:52 AM

Is it a dealer or private party? That makes a big difference on price. 5700 doesn't sound too bad, but I would check cars.com, autotrader.com and kelley blue book(kbb.com)

#6 VWillis

VWillis

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Texas

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:39 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input.
It looks like the price is a pretty good one coming from a dealer. And Carfax didn't turn up any reported problems or accidents.

Skitown - do you think a 6'4" guy could be comfortable in it with 2 kiddos in the back seat? He's been driving my 1992 Nissan Sentra 4dr and his knees are up around his ears because of having a child's car seat right behind him.

#7 skitown

skitown

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 August 2003 - 04:42 PM

If you are 6'4" - stick with the Outback - the extra couple inches in the roof line will be appriciated...
I am a bit cramped when I drive, but it is only noticible when I ride in a different car: Explorer, Mini-vans, larger pick up trucks, ets.

In Colorado - there are Subaru Outbacks at every corner and in every parking lot. They have an excellent reputation here. Good milage and with snow tires, excellent in the snow.

Skitown

#8 remarcable

remarcable

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,061 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:33 PM

Tint the windows dark, at least in the back. The car will look so much cooler (and stay cooler!).

Also it has been my personal experience that the outback is low on the list of cars police like to pull over... I've never been pulled nor have I ever seen another outback getting stopped.

One thing you might want to do is replace the 18mm rear sway bar with a 20mm or an adjustable swaybar. It will improve handling quite a bit for about $100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users