Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brake Pads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cannonball

cannonball

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Greenville

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

2000 OBWL. Can some brake pad materials be louder than others? I have what I consider excessive tire noise coming from the rear, but it may be bearing noise. The thought kinda hit me today as a possible culprit. Any thoughts?

#2 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:37 PM

Are you hearing the noise when the brakes are applied or when cruising (no brakes)?

#3 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:43 PM

If the "tire" noise continues in the rear after you rotate the tires, consider it a wheel bearing about to go.

#4 cannonball

cannonball

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Greenville

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

Are you hearing the noise when the brakes are applied or when cruising (no brakes)?

When Cruising along. I don't think it's the culprit, but I was thinking how disc brake pads ride the rotor all the time. I will note that the last brake pads I had installed sounded like they were grinding right before the car stopped, and they were brand new.

#5 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

Yeah metallic linings will make a sound like a metal brush first thing in the morning at that first stop sign at the corner of your street, then it goes away after a few moderate stops.

Like Sevensisters suggested, do a tire rotation to see if the noise moves around. Bearing noise won't develop suddenly unless you slide into a curb like someone I know. :-p

#6 Spazz698

Spazz698

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

could also be a bad rotor (if the brake pad's not riding on an even surface) Generally in that case the car will pull a bit to one side.
But if he pads are brand new they will make some noise for a day or two, think of it as breaking them in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users