Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is related to my earlier posting on my overheating problem, but the questions are kind of general.

After adding coolant and stop-leak to the radiator, I took the car for a short drive to the store. Note:Its about 12 degrees out at the moment. Temp needle came up to normal and stayed there. In order to keep the sealant circulating, I let the motor idle while in the store <10 minutes I'd say. I started to drive back and the guage began to climb out of site. Shut the motor down and again, the coolant, under pressure is squirting from the left upper area of the radiator, with all the steam its real hard to see. I checked the coolant after the motor cooled down, coolant loss was minimal. This radiator was replaced at somepoint(I've only had the car a few months, and I think it was a used or rebuilt unit, 'cus there is chalk on the radiator top with the number "90" and what I assume to be a part number. The car is a 91. If the thermostat was sticking, I don't understand why I have the coolant coming out of the radiator. Would a stuck closed stat cause pressure to build on the radiator side and thus cause a failure?

Also, I can't comfused as to where the stat is located. I did a thread searce and in another post it said to follow the upper hose rearward and it woud come to a housing that held the stat. I tried that, abd the hose goes to a cast aluminum pipe, with a bend in it, and this pipe essentialy vanishes under the foward manifold. Am I on the right track/ It looks as though it would be a bear to access the distal end of that aluminum pipe.

Help, please, I'm a carpenter............

Thermostat is located by following LOWER radiator hose back to housing that is located on the bottom front of engine-opposite of older american cars. I replaced the radiator in my 91 this past fall, had split on the end wand leak was getting worse. New one was about 120 bucks from local radiator shop, much cheaper than from parts stores or other sources. Only problem I had was retapping the holes for the fans to bolt on, threads were full of paint, etc.

The thermostat is on the BOTTOM of the motor? WTF? Shows what I know I guess....

Unvik, I live and die by UPS. I HATE to go to Utica so I get all kinds of stuff delivered. Reloading supplies, trapping supplies, clothes, you name it.There is a NAPA in Old Forge by the way, (localy refered to as "Never Any Parts Available)I'll at least give them a check. There is also a good shop in Utica where I could have the ex pick one up and bring it, she's supposed to be heading this way in the next couple days.

But when you're talking no tax and no shipping, I'm all ears! I'll price one out at that site.