Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 subaru legacy outback-starting / electrical problems...long story...sorry!

hello everyone

i have a 97 legacy outback wagon AT 99k. in october i was having some hard start problems. i replaced the battery and everything was fine.

a few weeks later, more hard start issues. i couldn't get the problem to repeat for the shop, they started it fine for 2 days with no problems. they cleaned the connections on the starter and i took it home.

a few weeks later, it was hard starting again, but completely stopped turning over. i would try to turn it over, and the dash lights go off (as usual), i would get a click in the dash and no start.

the shop checked it, said...yes, was starter. now i have a new starter.

this weekend, i had strange idle issues, and it took longer for it to turn over. idle kicked up and down, and sometimes felt like it might stall at lights. so, i had the throttle body cleaned (all gummed up.) i also had the dash lights and a clicking (with the flicker of the lights) when the car was turning over. i couldn't get the shop to repeat the problem. so i picked it up yesterday.

it sat all day today...a bit of a hard start, but i drove it for 10 minutes. let is sit for 30 min and then i tried to start it...it began to turn over then stopped. i tried again, and i got nothing. no clicks in the dash when i would turn the key. the battery reads 12.4v still and 11.4 v when i try to turn it over. as i was pushing out of the driveway, the dash lights (AT oil temp, check eng, battery) all started to flash, click and brighten/dim (key in ignition.)

any clues anyone? i've been dealing with starting problems for months now, and it seems like crap always happens to me when the weather gets colder...ie, walking everywhere. the timing belt, water pump, alternator were all replaced at 76k. and now i have a new starter and battery and a very clean throttle body.

thanks in advance!

melissa

got a security system with a starter kill ???

I have heard of replacement starters going bad shortly after installed. Especially re-maned ones. Should be under warranty, labor too.

When I was an apprentice, the shop I was at covered starter labor for 30 days, and used lifetime warranted starters.

i only have the factory installed keyless entry. it is a good local shop and they have been disappointed that i have to keep coming back. i'm sure that if it is the starter again, they will replace it for free.

i'm leaving the car at my house and not getting it towed to the shop, for fear that a tow might jostle whatever the problem is. nothing like a house call from a good local mechanic. i was just hoping that someone else has had a similar issue, so i might be able to assist the shop.

on a side note...i owned a 75 vw westy, restored it and traveled the country in it for a year. i went through 5 starters that year. i never thought i would feel that kind of anxiety again.

thanks again

m:)

• 5 months later...
hello everyone

i have a 97 legacy outback wagon AT 99k. in october i was having some hard start problems. i replaced the battery and everything was fine.

a few weeks later, more hard start issues. i couldn't get the problem to repeat for the shop, they started it fine for 2 days with no problems. they cleaned the connections on the starter and i took it home.

a few weeks later, it was hard starting again, but completely stopped turning over. i would try to turn it over, and the dash lights go off (as usual), i would get a click in the dash and no start.

the shop checked it, said...yes, was starter. now i have a new starter.

this weekend, i had strange idle issues, and it took longer for it to turn over. idle kicked up and down, and sometimes felt like it might stall at lights. so, i had the throttle body cleaned (all gummed up.) i also had the dash lights and a clicking (with the flicker of the lights) when the car was turning over. i couldn't get the shop to repeat the problem. so i picked it up yesterday.

it sat all day today...a bit of a hard start, but i drove it for 10 minutes. let is sit for 30 min and then i tried to start it...it began to turn over then stopped. i tried again, and i got nothing. no clicks in the dash when i would turn the key. the battery reads 12.4v still and 11.4 v when i try to turn it over. as i was pushing out of the driveway, the dash lights (AT oil temp, check eng, battery) all started to flash, click and brighten/dim (key in ignition.)

any clues anyone? i've been dealing with starting problems for months now, and it seems like crap always happens to me when the weather gets colder...ie, walking everywhere. the timing belt, water pump, alternator were all replaced at 76k. and now i have a new starter and battery and a very clean throttle body.

thanks in advance!

melissa

Melissa:

Some suggestions I have learned:

Two possibilities.

1) starter solenoïd. Then the click is louder when listening in the engine compartment with the hood raised.

2) Starter relay.Then the click is more faint and comes from under the dash.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Bill Stan

Atlanta Georgia