Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I've lurked for a bit! I recently bought a 92 legacy L AWD, its been giving me a headache.

I've been having an intermittent problem for a couple weeks now. It seems to run fine sometimes and other times it runs rough, with a lack of power. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems to always run bad on long gradual uphill grades(on the way home). It seems to run better at lower elevations but starts running worse as I head home.

I've replaced:

Plugs & Wires v-power, oem wires

fuel filter

alternater rebuilt

battery

air filter oem

pcv valve

This has got me stumped. Any ideas? I've brought it down to Valley Subaru Service in Auburn, but the car runs great down in the valley!!!

Thanks in advance.

Is the check engine light on? Have you pulled codes from the ECU, to see if there is any there? I have instructions on how to pull the codes and what they are on my site.

So does it seem to act up when going up hill, and then run ok when at elevation, or does it continually run worse when elevation increases. Also, what kind of elevation are we talking....500ft or 1000-2000 or more.

Thanks for the reply,

I guess I left a few thing out! No the CEL is not on, and there are not any codes. It seems to run this way intermittently no matter what the elevation or slope of the road, Its just that it consistently runs this way on my drive home, the road out to my place goes from about 600 ft to 1200 ft in 6 miles. I dropped it with a subaru mechanic near me, he's located near sea level, he drove the car and could find nothing wrong. The car seemed to run great at that elevation.

The car kind of starts sounding a little rougher at first, then at times will sound really rough and has a general lack of power. It idles just fine when its running this way. I thought it might be some kind of exhaust leak, but the mechanic did'nt think it would be intermittent like this or affected by elevation.

I'm really at a loss, its hard to get any kind of diagnosis on such an intermittent problem.

I Have a 90 Legacy GT, I have just changed all spark plugs and replaced 2 of the ignition coils. The engine is still missing when warming up. Does anyone think this rough idling (missing) is being caused by the Air Flow Sensor the check engine light is not on. Can anyone shed any light on this it is becoming extremely frustrating

MAF sensors could cause it....I know when I had mine going out. The engine would intermittantly cut out and lose power. It finally one day left a code for the MAF sensor.

If you can find a MAF sensor cheap, it'd be worth trying to swap out the parts. You could try cleaning it with a light spray of brake cleaner. If you do this, you need to be very careful with it.

• 2 months later...

Ok going to revive this thread,,,

Where to begin, well this problem has still got me stumped!!!

Since my last post I've tried to replace the MAF, Swapped all 4 injectors, swapped the TPS, and cleared both Cats(sounds really bad now!!). The only time the car seems OK is on flat ground at about 2000 rpm. My question, What would the symptoms of a bad fuel pump be? And how can I test it?

Also, has anybody been to Smart Subaru in Seattle? I'm just getting tired of throwing money at this thing!!!!!

A little more info.

The car kind of kicks and bucks lightly when at stop lights, it idles alright. I thought maybe the exhaust was clogged but after clearing both cats the sysmtoms are the same. It also slows down quickly when I remove my foot from the throttle, and then it lurch's when I again accelerate. Any kind of quick acceleration or a hill and the car runs horribly. And finally when I down shift into 2nd and remove my foot from the throttle it has a rather pronounced lurch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :banghead: