Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on disconecting engine from auto.

I think you may need to unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter. I'm not sure how many bolts there are, so you'll have to turn the engine over to get access to them.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. That's what I had to do to get the tranny off a '90 caravan with a seized engine (not fun)

now if someone can tell me why the torque converter slid right after it was unbolted... I'd like to know

I did it with the engine and tranny out. It was pretty easy. I only had to take all the bolts out that connected the tranny to the engine and then busted out the rubber mallet, prybar, torch, big hammer...

Dunno about Subaru but just did a tranny swap on a GMC Safari van. With all bolts incl torque converter-to-flexplate out, the trans remained firmly attached to the 4.3 V6 block, even with the leverage of grabbing the tailshaft and lowering/raising trans jack. Looking at it would think with the weight of the trans, it would have to just fall off without the bolts and crossmember. Had to spray with penetrating oil and apply great force back & forth on the tailshaft to break it loose.

Where can I find instructions to remove/replace a 4EAT?

I had to deal with a stripped bolt on the TC to flexplate. Couldn't get the bolt off so I cut the flexplate. Ugly, I know.

I didn't want to mess with getting the TC back into the transmission.

23Legacy_engine_007.jpg

It was from a parts car so keeping the flexplate wasn't an issue.

I did this while the engine and transmission were still in the car.

No room for the torch, chisel, smaller socket, nothing.

Dremel is king.

But so ugly. So very ugly.

Jay