Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine shake after timig belt replacement

I have just replaced my timing belt, water pump and oil seals. It went OK and I was able to start the car the first try. But the car feels some what differently now. For one thing, the car shakes noticeably now at idle (even at P or N). It almost feels like the idle speed is low. But I measure the idle speed and it was 700 RPM which I think is OK. I also measured the vacuum and it is normal and stable. Also, the car feels little sluggish than before. At high speed (4th gear-around 2000RPM) the car also shakes. But if the RPM is high, the car feels OK. When I install my timing belt, I was careful not miss the mark and I think I installed correctly. Any other reason that can cause this?

Any other way to check the timing belt (other than taking it apart again?)

93 Legacy 2.2L

I had similiar problem and I am still not convinced that everything is okay. I haven't tried another good Subaru to be sure. Search for engine shake.

I did take the left and right timing covers off (easy) and made sure it hadn't skipped a teeth. You can't get to the crankshaft mark, but you can check that camsprocket marks are aligned. It won't hurt to count the number of teeth between camsprocket marks (add up numbers) and ensure they are okay too.

I have just took off the cam sprocket covers (two on each side and checked the timing marks, they are both accurately positioned. I was very careful when I installed them, counting the tooth in between marks. So I do not think timing is the problem.

I took the car on the high way, at around 100km with RPM 2100-2200, I would feel some kind of shake or vibaration, but as soon as I push the gas and the RPM increases, it feels OK again.

The car otherwise drives OK. Any thoughts?

Wkoepp and others:

Thanks for your reply. I decided to check the "simple things" first. Sure enough, one of the spark plug wire is lose from the spark plug possiblly got lose during my work. So I have been running the car with some misfires. The shake is because the misfire. I have made the connectiong good and now the car is running silky smooth.

I also changes the water pump, t-stat, front oil seals in addition to the timing belt. Since it is my first time working on Subaru so it is a learning experience for me. I am glad I did it. I am sure for the next Subaru, It will be much easier.