Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with 'Check Engine' light and Speedo

Can anyone help me I wonder?

I have just bought a WRX 1995 M Reg from a Private seller. I purchased it yesterday. Today I have been driving it and suddenly the Speedo has stopped working, the Mileage gauge has also stopped (against the law i think), and the 'Check Engine' Light has come on.

Also, my Boost gauge is now falshing at 0.45, when it was flashing at 1.0. Does anyone know if this may be a fuse? Or if it is going to be expensive?

Thankyou

Roland

Can anyone help me I wonder?

I have just bought a WRX 1995 M Reg from a Private seller. I purchased it yesterday. Today I have been driving it and suddenly the Speedo has stopped working, the Mileage gauge has also stopped (against the law i think), and the 'Check Engine' Light has come on.

Also, my Boost gauge is now falshing at 0.45, when it was flashing at 1.0. Does anyone know if this may be a fuse? Or if it is going to be expensive?

Thankyou

Roland

Get the code pulled for the CEL.

It is probably the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

Mine died a couple of years ago, no speedo or odometer, plus the engine would cut out at a lower rpm than redline.

It cost about $110 to replace at a dealer. I think the actual sensor was about 60 dollars.

The VSS on my car is attached to the transmission, and in some cars there are two of them, I think.

Matt