Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rusted through

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deiscient

deiscient

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Boston, MA USA

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

Had a wake-up call recently. I was kicking the snow and dirt of the front driver-side mud flap when it and a significant chunk of rusted-through metal fell off the fender body panel. So, anyway, it looks like time to replace that entire section (front-left quarter). Is this a DIY-able item, assuming I can find a chop-shopped section of the right color (maroon, which I have seen a lot on the road)? Any stories of similar replacements out there?

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

Quarter panels are fairly easy to remove. If you're lucky, just the quarter panel is rusted. The frame rail underneath is an unstopable doom if it rusts through. Check the rear wheel wells while you're at it. It'll be a good chance to get aquainted with bondo.

#3 deiscient

deiscient

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Boston, MA USA

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Looked at it again last night. Poked a finger through the hole to check the interior. The frame rail still seem solid although there was quite a collection of dirt inside. Hopefully cleaning this out will save the rail from serious harm for a while. Lots of used body panels for sale on a few 'net sites so there is a possible springtime project ahead.

It would be a shame to part with this car now. It still runs perfect (although DW can't stand the thought of me driving it any distance beyond the local Quik Mart...).
:banghead:

#4 ndsnewleg

ndsnewleg

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Denver

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

Once you do replace the front quarter panel the best way to keep if from rusting in the future, and that goes for all 1st gen. legacy owners, is to regularly wash the dirt that collects inside the panel and on the frame rail. You can only get at it with the door open. I just stick the washer wand in there and gently blow it out trying not to blow it into the interior of the car. Washing out the front of the rear wheel well will also keep that area from rusting. The body on my 90 wagon is still perfect in that regard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users