Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the other day i did a u-turn in a parking lot,turn the wheel completely till it stopped.after i did that an started to drive away i noticed that it was starting to shake violently at about 15-20mph.has this happen to anyone here? it seems that everytime i do a sharp turn it does it.took a look underneath an nothing looked out of the ordinary.steerings kinda stiff at times to.

well as it turns out,by what my mechanic said.i have torque bind. only does it when i do any turning close to a u-turn.no probs with reg turns arounds turns.in a couple wks i'm gonna be replacing the tranny so the torque bind prob will be taken care of.

the reason tranny is being replaced,is cause of the input shaft bearing needing replacement,figured just put another trans in her.

im assuming if you know what it is you know why you got it and what you need to change to not do it to your new tranny?

i have a feeling it's cause i have thicker then normal tranny fluid in to quiet down the bearing noise.

it is caused by having different diameter tires. on an awd car all the tires need to be the same brand, size,model, and amount of wear. subarus spec is that they must be within 1/4 inch circumference. you can check to see if that is your broblem by putting a 20 amp fuse in the fwd fuse holder located on the back of the passenger side strut tower (in my car anyway). if that solves the torque bind then tires are your problem (or at least one of them)

If its the car in his pictures its a 5-speed so he's not going to have the fuse, no way to put the stick's into FWD. I'm don't hear of the torque bind being a problem too much with the 5speeds, you may want to try putting a quality gear oil, maybe synthitic, of the correct weight and see if that does anything before you spend money on a new tranney

it is caused by having different diameter tires. on an awd car all the tires need to be the same brand, size,model, and amount of wear. subarus spec is that they must be within 1/4 inch circumference. you can check to see if that is your broblem by putting a 20 amp fuse in the fwd fuse holder located on the back of the passenger side strut tower (in my car anyway). if that solves the torque bind then tires are your problem (or at least one of them)

• 1 month later...

well here's the up-date.

as it's looking out to be is the parking brake cable or driversside parking brake assembly.it started to shake an vibrate,so i quickly jacked up the back end took off the wheel.took it all apart an noticed that the hub of the rotor was extremely hot to the touch.took it off with alittle trouble.all looked ok with the springs an what not.i backed the shoes off all the way,an no shake for now.gonna have to put some oil down the parking brake cable just incase that's the prob.so for now i won't touch the P/B

• 4 weeks later...
well here's the up-date.

as it's looking out to be is the parking brake cable or driversside parking brake assembly.it started to shake an vibrate,so i quickly jacked up the back end took off the wheel.took it all apart an noticed that the hub of the rotor was extremely hot to the touch.took it off with alittle trouble.all looked ok with the springs an what not.i backed the shoes off all the way,an no shake for now.gonna have to put some oil down the parking brake cable just incase that's the prob.so for now i won't touch the P/B

well as of the time when i found out that the parking brake assembly was causing the shake,today i decided to finally get around to putting some pb blaster down the cable an to prevent it from ever doing it again....i removed the assembly altogether.i know i shouldn't have but seeing that i never really have a reason for setting the brake(normally shut engine off when parking) and it wouldn't help me stop any quicker then normal brakes do(i tried it,wouldn't help as emergency brake)

before i did this,they were squeaking till i got up to around 25-30mph an it was driving me nuts.