Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn signals and Emergency signals not flashing

Hello all.

I got my 84 GL Wagon about 5 months ago and now have a problem that I would like some advice on.

My turn signals and Emergency lights don't blink. They just stay solid no matter what. I checked and it would appear that all the lights are working (they light up). Is it posiable that a bulb could still be burnt out? Like a filiment is burnt out which is keeping them from flashing? Or because they light up are they probaly okay? It is dark so I will check them in morning anyway.

Also if it is not my bulbs then could it be the flasher? I checked under the dash and I think I see the flasher. It looks like it is a tad of a pain to get out. Is that a standard flasher I could buy at the store (like Canadian Tire) or is that something I am goign to have to get at a dealer? It looks like a hefty wireing harness plugs into it.

Anyway I have always heard that if the turn signals and the hazards don't flash, then it is the flahser, and I am jsut curious as to everyone elses thoughts.

Thank you,

Luke

If the front and rear TS bulbs are lit, it would point towards the flasher(s) being bad, (or missing). There's 2 flashers, 1 for TS, 1 for E-Flashers. And yes, they are "fun" to get to...

Now, (some FYI here), if the rear TS bulb is blown, your front one and the dash indicator will light but not blink. If a front one blows, the rear and dash indicator will blink rapidly. This is only for the TS system. The E-F will/should blink regardless if a bulb is out. This is providing that the flasher unit(s) are good.

You can use either flasher unit in either circuit. Putting an E-F unit on the TS will slow the blink rate slightly. Putting a TS unit on the E-F will speed up the blink rate. I usually use the heavy-duty E-F unit on both circuits. This will be benificial if you tow a trailer, as the TS bulbs on the trailer will change the blink rate due to added load on circuit.

School is out now.......